Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Although I am a long way from this being an issue, I did have a question on my mind the other day. As some of you may know, I just got a 56 Bel Air.

Now I'm the kind of person that likes a clean, very stock appearing interior. I just like the nostalgic appeal. However, I'm not a huge fan of stock engines - I like to have some power under the hood. (Nothing amazing, just enough to make it sound great and be fun to drive).

My question is, can (and if yes, how) you use your stock dash gauges with a carbed 350? Since putting a 350 in a Tri Five is hardly a new idea (mine came with a 350 in it already) I would imagine it can be done, but I wanted to be sure. I'm not really a big fan of those gauge pods, I like to look as stock as possible when it comes to interiors.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Short answer. Yes.

I have a '67 327. All you need are the correct oil pressure and water temperature senders.
I am also using an alternator instead of the generator. I bought an alternator harness so the generator light still works too.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. When you say the correct water and oil pressure senders, do you mean correct with respect to the engine, or correct with respect to the gauges?

Mine has an alternator in it too, but none of the wiring is complete.

·
Registered
956 Posts
V8PunkRocket said:
thanks for the reply. When you say the correct water and oil pressure senders, do you mean correct with respect to the engine, or correct with respect to the gauges?

Mine has an alternator in it too, but none of the wiring is complete.
I meant with respect to the gauges. I don't have any idea what would work other than the stock type but I'm sure somebody will post the correct info.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Personally I would prefer a set of aftermarket gauges of the direct read type. I know that they are not as common as they used to be, but I trust them more than the electric ones. Hide them in the glove box if you don't want them visible.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts