Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could use some help here guys. I have an opportunity to pick up a 2000 Chevy Vortec engine and tranny for a reasonable price. I only have the attached pictures, and the guy could not answer many of my questions. He can’t tell me if it’s a 4.8L or a 5.3L (it is a cast iron block). It supposedly has only 4000 mile and is complete with both ECM's, harness, etc– I find that hard to believe on the mileage, but you never know. The tranny should be a 4L60E from that vintage, yes? Can anyone tell me what size the engine is from the pictures? Anything in particular I should look for? Casting #’s that might help me identify it… He’s asking $1300, but I can get it for less. Should I just wait until a later vintage is available? I’m only looking for 300 to 400 HP, just don’t want to pass on a good deal. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
853 Posts
Enine id

The October issue of Hot Rod Magazine has an article called LS engines at a glance. This should help you determine what your looking at. It shows the model of the engine (LS1 or LS2 etc) the size (346, 427 etc) block material (alum, iron), horsepower, and what vehicle it came in. :anim_25:

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,912 Posts
The blocks casting numbers/PCM's are the same on the 5.3 and 4.8's. Only way to tell them a part is look at the piston or the crank. If its flatops its a 4.8l dished equal 5.3l. Remove a spark plug and place at TDC look insde with a light should be able to tell.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Look on the dr rear at the trans housing flange, and the block. Should be a vin stamped,[lasered] on them just opposite each other.
Also on the block on the vertical pad behind the oil filter area...

·
Registered
411 Posts
The vin will be on the transmission to. It on the bottom where the rear transmisson mount is just in front of it. Then you can look the engine code up.

That is what i have been told.

darrin

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Yep..

The vin will be on the transmission to. It on the bottom where the rear transmisson mount is just in front of it. Then you can look the engine code up.

That is what i have been told.

darrin
there, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts