Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and many folks have had this issue but I have not found any answers to the question for some reason.

I converted my 55 from a generator to a 3 wire alternator. The charging system is working fine as the alt is putting out 14.5 volts and the amp guage whows it charging as well. I also just replaced my battery and bench tested the alt at the local parts store. My problem is the gen light is still faintly lit when the engine is running not bright but at night you can tell the bulb is slightly lit. is this mormal and is it a problem? I just want to be sure thanks for any info.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the same issue and found a quick tap on the throttle shuts the light off. Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Don will probably know the answer and chime in.

I am going to guess that you have some resistance through your ignition switch or wiring to it that causes the voltage on one side of the bulb to be just a little lower than the voltage coming from the alternator. The GEN light has voltage on both sides when running and if one side is lower than the other the bulb will burn dim.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,957 Posts
Mark, that's what I was going to say. :) Yes, a poor connection can cause higher voltage on the alternator side than the ignition switch side of the bulb.

Shoebox, did you run a new larger wire from the alternator direct to the battery or starter solenoid or did you use the original wire that goes under the dash and then back out to the battery?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I did run a new wire fron alt to the battery I left the ignition switch wiring alone aside from upgrading the wire for my distributer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i just ran a one wire alternator and i am using a volt gauge as the gen light has never worked properly on my 55 so i just bypassed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an observation from a new owner on his generator not altenator

oddly enough when I took the new 57 wagon to the shop today I told him that the gen light was dimmly lit. He proceeded to turn the distributor so that the idle was a bit faster and the light turned off. He then turned it so the idle was lower and the light was more bright. He said it was based on the rpm and the generator not producing enough power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts