Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! i'm getting ready to replace the Generator in my 57 (283) to a Alternator. Just wondering if one from a 67 Camaro (302) would be fine? what mounts should I go with or do I have to fabricate some?

Thanks!

Jim

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Hey guys! i'm getting ready to replace the Generator in my 57 (283) to a Alternator. Just wondering if one from a 67 Camaro (302) would be fine? what mounts should I go with or do I have to fabricate some?

Thanks!

Jim
A 67 Camero 10DN alternator has a external voltage regulator, which is not a very big improvement over a generator. I would use a later model 10 or 12SI (1973 or later) alternator to eleminate the extra wiring for the external regulator and make trouble shooting of the charging system much easier.

G

·
I'd go for a late 70's, early 80's Citation/J2000/J6000 air conditioned 94 ampere alternator. It is a 12SI model, can be very easily single wired, and the charge light is easy to connect, and, they will work a lot easier electrically than the lower ampere ones from earlier years. Plus, they are absolutely dirt cheap at wrecking yards, and with a simple clean up, they live long and prosper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.