Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure wish I knew what a "Genuine Suspension lift kit" is. I've looked high and low for information. I would assume that besides taller springs, the kit included new upper and lower a-arms and probably some steering parts. I don't suppose anyone knows anything?

From the article:
"Then I kicked the nose up half a foot with a Genuine Suspension lift kit. To cut some weight, I Swiss-cheesed the control arms, and even though dragstrip tech crews frown, I like the way it looks."

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0204_1955_chevrolet_210_sedan/index.html

Here's some pics of the same car that I got from someplace:

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
check out the lower A-arm - the spring seat has been raised quite a bit. I would think that would be part of 6 inch lift kit. Maybe the kit came with a raised spring seat that attaches to the stock a-arm?

Attachments

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
The problem with this whole setup is the geometry of the suspension is thrown way off. Plus you end up with very little downward movement in the suspension. Not to mention added strain on the steering linkage. That's why I went with an axle. What's good for straight line driving on the strip, is not always good for the road. Just my 2 cents.
Rick

·
Registered
142 Posts
i remember seeing that 55 in hot rod. when i first saw it, i thought.......... wow. i wouldn't want to ride in that. :eek::rolleyes:

·
50,371 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
What if you use the..... Spring Spacers.....Stock Height springs.....and Ball Joint Spacers.... ?? Would this not be the way to go?? :confused0006:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hazmat....These are the previous threads that I was thinking of where this was discussed: http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL470/4002687/9976060/285940850.jpg and http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42105 A guy, screen name Posmiester, makes the parts below....He should be able to help you out.
Yeah, know all about that thread. I posted on it several times.

I started this thread in hopes that someone would know some information about the Geniune Suspension kit and what it comprised of. Although I didn't say it, I would love to find out someone, somewhere at sometime has offered a lift kit that includes re-designed A-arms (or other unique parts) that solve the typical raised front end issues.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i remember seeing that 55 in hot rod. when i first saw it, i thought.......... wow. i wouldn't want to ride in that. :eek::rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to ride next to that either. :eek::)

I'm not a fan of C spacers. The NHRA banned them for a reason.

·
50,371 Posts
Yeah, know all about that thread. I posted on it several times.

I started this thread in hopes that someone would know some information about the Geniune Suspension kit and what it comprised of. Although I didn't say it, I would love to find out someone, somewhere at sometime has offered a lift kit that includes re-designed A-arms (or other unique parts) that solve the typical raised front end issues.
Hazmat....Good try.....Hope you find and answer to your quest....I may be wrong....But, I have a gut feeling that no "magic pill" has ever been made.....Maybe we could talk Aaron from CPP into developing a piece that raises the front end, instead of lowering it.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Seems like a combo of a Taller Spring and some sort of spacer for the Lower A Arm to keep the same travel in the suspension! Just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hazmat....Good try.....Hope you find and answer to your quest....I may be wrong....But, I have a gut feeling that no "magic pill" has ever been made.....Maybe we could talk Aaron from CPP into developing a piece that raises the front end, instead of lowering it.
4" rise spindles instead of 2" dropped...:anim_25::sign0009:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
4" rise spindles instead of 2" dropped...:anim_25::sign0009:
Yes I agree, one can buy 2'' drop spindles from almost anywhere for a tri-five along with all the needed suspension parts basically in kit form. It would be nice if a supplier made a "lift" suspension set up so you wouldn't have to go straight axle or jury rig components(no offense meant to those that have lifted their cars by other methods than a straight axle:)).

·
50,371 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It seems like we're all in agreement... there's got to be a better way. Gasser style cars are popular right now! I used to be the only guy at the local car shows with a raised front end and fenderwell headers but they're all over now.

I would have thought an aftermarket chassis company would have come up with something now. At least, something besides Jim Meyer's choice of cutting your frame at the firewall. (I'm not knocking the product btw. I'm just not interested in cutting my frame up)

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Lift on my 56

I am a novice to all this suspension talk...but this is what I did to my car and the outcome...This is the stance my 56 got with ball joint spacers and extra lift springs from JC Whitney...I shaved off that little nub area next to the rubber snubbers for the ball joint spacer travel...and I did not install the rubber snubbers.... and to tell you the truth...putting the ball joint spacers made no difference in "stand still" height.
Ken

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts