Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so.. yesterday was a LONG overdue grass cutting day for me..

it's been so long that my lawnmower's battery had died from sitting.. (been busy and there's no hoa so no one bugs me when it gets a little thick up there by the road lol.)

at any rate, so I begrudgingly backed the belair out w/o a driver side rear door window and started to get the lawnmower out.. only to find a puddle of diff fluid at the back, and oil, and transmission fluid at the front.

I'm wondering when brake fluid, gas, and radiator fluid are gonna start leaking..

anyway..

so.. it looks like I can't put this off any longer.. the rear leaf spring on the passenger side of this car is cracked in half at the shock mount. i've been ignoring it and driving the car anyway, but now with the diff leaking I don't know that I can.. it's gonna have to come out.

the rearend in this car has NEVER been serviced. The seals have lasted 53 years..

What would a stock 283/pwrglide car have for a rearend gear, and what should I put in it's place?

I want the car to have a bit more off the line but I don't want it to redline when cruising at 60 or so either.

Also, is this something I can do myself since it's a 3rd member? Or should I have a shop do it? I had a 12 bolt in my last project and I had to pay some guy $1000 to do it because they said if I "set the gears wrong it'll howl" whatever that means..

I really don't have the money for this right now.. this car is paid for sure, but it sure does cost a lot to own..

thanks guys..

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Since you don't have the money, why not just fix the leak for now ? A pinon seal is cheap and easy to do, with a little instruction.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Darkfox ,1st step it to drop your drive shaft.you will need a 1/2 in wrench for this. 2nd step is to remove the 1 1/8 nut from the pinion shaft.( I used my air impact to do this). 3rd remove the yoke from the shaft--have a catch pan under the rear end to catch the oil that will come out! 4th take a small chisle or screwdriver hammer and remove the seal. take the removed seal to the parts store and get a replacement.
I happen to know all this as I removed mine tonight after I got home from work. Took me about 45 minutes to remove as I had to find my 1 1/8 socket.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I believe 57's with Powerglide used 3:36 rear ends and 55/56 used 3:55... Later, Dave

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you plan on just replacing the pinion seal. Make sure you inspect your pinion yoke for a groove prior to reinstalling it. If it has a groove... a new seal will not fix your leak.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...

this rearend has never been serviced, it's about 2x bigger than it's actual size because of caked on grease and dirt from the last 53 years. I can't even see the bolts that hold the 3rd member in place.

I would imagine new bearings seals and a new 3rd member is in order to do this "right."

I'd like to take it down and have it sandblasted and powder coated. I need new leaf springs in the rear due to sag anyway, and a new rear brake hose because my exhaust has been rubbing on it. :eek:

It has "leaked" for some time in that the bottom of the diff has looked wet, but it's never left a puddle.. however after sitting for the last few weeks a puddle had formed.

Does anyone have a pic of how this seal fits in? I would expect that you have to remove the entire 3rd member to put the seal back on? Or is it leaking somewhere else? It's not clear from the pics i've taken under the car where the leak is coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts