Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been here and even longer since I've been out in my shop working on my car. Like they say when it rains it pours. Not only have I been out of work for way too long which doesn't allow me to justify spending money on my car I also came down with this crap called Cellulitis with not getting in to details is very painful at times and limited the amount of time spent standing up. Now I have been accused of being lazy every now and again but just can't work on my ride sitting in a chair.......lol

SO I figured let me get back into the swing of things by making up my parts/wish list. For starters lets talk sheet metal. If I recall some of the post way back when there was either a board member or sponsor who offered a pretty decent line of sheet metal for Tri-Five's. Although being as my mind/memory lately resembles a spaghetti strainer I may be thinking of something or someone else.
I came really close to selling my 56 Nomad but thankfully the guy who came to look at it was a real jerk and I wouldn't have sold it to him for twice the price and it felt kinda good to tell him to get the *@#*! out of my garage..:sign0020:

So if anyone has any recommendations for who I should use for sheet metal lay it on me.

Thanks
BK

·
Registered
66,324 Posts
get well soon and hope you find a job. :anim_25:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
It's been a while since I've been here and even longer since I've been out in my shop working on my car. Like they say when it rains it pours. Not only have I been out of work for way too long which doesn't allow me to justify spending money on my car I also came down with this crap called Cellulitis with not getting in to details is very painful at times and limited the amount of time spent standing up. Now I have been accused of being lazy every now and again but just can't work on my ride sitting in a chair.......lol

SO I figured let me get back into the swing of things by making up my parts/wish list. For starters lets talk sheet metal. If I recall some of the post way back when there was either a board member or sponsor who offered a pretty decent line of sheet metal for Tri-Five's. Although being as my mind/memory lately resembles a spaghetti strainer I may be thinking of something or someone else.
I came really close to selling my 56 Nomad but thankfully the guy who came to look at it was a real jerk and I wouldn't have sold it to him for twice the price and it felt kinda good to tell him to get the *@#*! out of my garage..:sign0020:

So if anyone has any recommendations for who I should use for sheet metal lay it on me.

Thanks
BK
Wifey came down with Cellulitis and spent some time in the hospital... Hope things work out for you soon... Later, Dave

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
First let me say I am sorry to hear about your Cellulitus. Second I am glad you didin't sell your Nomad. :tu Glad your gettin back to work on her. You need to be more specific when you say sheetmetal..

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
I know alot of us were getting sheet metal from Gene at star city before he passed away. Now I go to East Coast Chevy because it's near me.
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Hey BK...sorry to hear about your health and job issues. But still, YOU HAVE A NOMAD. How cool is that? A Nomad!!

I've gotten some sheet metal--smaller parts so far--from Danchuk's. It's all been really nice. At least one piece had a "Sherman's" label on it. And so far, they've always had what I need in stock.

Good luck on your project. Your Nomad project!! Cool.

Jay

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats for the reply and kind thoughts guys but enough of that mushy stuff. Well what sheet metal you ask how about all of it...lol I need some body panels of course and not unless someone is re-popping 56 Nomad quarters I'll be doing a little bit of fab work but my main focus now will be to get the floors done. I am not sure I'm up to replacing an entire floor for several reasons I'm just one guy, I have the car on a rotisserie so that helps and have done a lot of metal work in the past but never had to do an entire floor and I know if I screw that up I might as well call the junk man so I think I'll stick with replacing sections if my confidence level was up to 100% I would just way the costs vs the benefit of a whole floor as opposed to just piecing it out. The floors are solid enough to just section but this is the one car I want to do 100% over the top so that was why I was thinking whole floor just in case you were going to ask...lol both rockers are shot d/s inner is ok but p/s inner is toast. Al;so inner front p/s quarter needs to be replaced. The biggie is going to be one of the smallest at least appearance wise problems a hole in the roof on the d/s rear section near the corner, I've attached a pic to give you some idea of what I'm talking about

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
I did my floor by myself with two floor jacks and some milk crates. Once I had it under the car and supported by the milk crates it was just a matter of getting under each corner and lifting it into place and clamping it. It wasn't very hard at all. Now that roof on the other hand...you need to talk to Robert at MP&C.
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts