Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an update on my progress so far. I installed the headers and motor mounts on the 350 so here are updated pics. Sure does look pretty!

After I pull the 283 I will be cleaning up the engine compartment and installing the engine sidemount brackets I bought. Hopefully I don't have the problems I have been reading about.

The guy I bought the engine and tranny from is coming over Tuesday morning to help pull the 283 and tranny out. I have most of it done as you can see but I would rather have him under the car doing the disconnects.

Looks like I need to round up the bolts for tranny to bellhousing and starter. Anyone know off hand the sizes?

Don

·
Registered
63 Posts
hi

HI don
that new motor looks great the old motor is a 283 are you going to rebuild it for a spare motor that new 350 what is the hp? of it going to look good in your 57 so for now have good day and a happy scare day bowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
Engine

Hoss, you've got it looking great. Although I've always like the 283 eng. the 350 is a work horse. bowtie-trifive

7,080 Posts
"Sure does look pretty"

Yes Sir it sure does. :tu Lloyd

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Just an update on my progress so far. I installed the headers and motor mounts on the 350 so here are updated pics. Sure does look pretty!
I agree, sure does look nice!
I'm wondering if those headers are going to clear the steering box. :confused0006:

68,758 Posts
looks great don. hope the install goes as well as the removal. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm wondering if those headers are going to clear the steering box. :confused0006:
Very observant of you Don! I did not take that into consideration and it looks like I have a problem. Looks like they stick out at least an inch too far.

So, what are my options? Put the old stock manifolds on for now and fix it in the future?

Change out my steering? I assume that means going to an Ididit?

I knew this was not going to be easy.

Don

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Don I thought you were changing out the steering box. The 500 boxes are smaller aren't they? You should not need to change the column.
Jim

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don I thought you were changing out the steering box. The 500 boxes are smaller aren't they? You should not need to change the column.
Jim
Jim, I thought I might have to but not for this reason. I guess I'm not sure the 500 is smaller. If that is the case, I will most likely go that way.

Don

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
Don I thought you were changing out the steering box. The 500 boxes are smaller aren't they? You should not need to change the column......Jim
Don.....If you're going to a 500 box, you will have to shorten the steering column or get a shortened one from CPP, Ididit, or Flaming River.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Don.....If you're going to a 500 box, you will have to shorten the steering column or get a shortened one from CPP, Ididit, or Flaming River.
This sellers description states that it will mount to stock column. READ HERE
Jim

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts
This sellers description states that it will mount to stock column. READ HERE.............Jim
Jim....I remember this coming up here in a thread long ago.....Even, the expert, Jalapeno agreed....Yes, you can use your stock colomn....However, it will have to be shortened....The seller's statements are missleading.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I don't think the 500 box is going to help enough. I think it's smaller in places but larger in other places. Measure from the old block to the steering box at #3 and #5 exhaust ports, then measure the header tubes at that point.
The reason I think it might be a problem, I tried some headers simular to those, that didn't fit. I went with Sanderson block huggers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts