Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RESTORING OL BLUE

Sorry no current pics the one pic is last week before i dissassembled to take to the powdercater but im building a 1958 chevy pickup for my father in-law and the frame got back from the powder coater wednesday. I got all the front mustang II suspension all back together and sitting on tires. Im waiting on the new posi and gears to show up and get the 10 bolt rearend back together. Friday Im hauling it to his house and going to set the engine and trans in it. There is a car show here in Battle Mountain this Saturday the 25th and Im trying to get it down there for the under contruction class. FYI my father inlaw is in the last stages of emphazima and seeing him smile as his truck is getting worked on is just an awesome feeling to be able to make someones dream come true. just had his daughter send me the pics she took this weekend so i just added them

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goofing around while taking parts of the truck

me acting like im driving the frame after i took the shifter out of the truck

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
happy to be helping a dream come true

my father inlaw Sheldon smoked for 40 years also and worked at a open pit gold mine with lots of dust. I work at the same mine now but the E.P.A. makes us water everything down so we dont have dust. Thanks for the encouragement on this project everybody. I will keep the pictures coming as I do more and more work. We are setting the engine and trans in it Friday and Im dragging the chassis to a car show on Saturday under construction.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update

Well its been awhile since I have updated you all on the progress of my father in-laws 58 truck. the chassis is almost done the engine, trans, brake lines, fuel system and driveline are all done. Started on the body this weekend and had the whole thing soda blasted and then sand blasted where the surface rust was on the bed and bottom of the cab. i know some of you don't like the soda blasting method but it worked out for me and i am going to wash the parts with vinegar this weekend to neutralize the soda. This method saved me a lot of heart ache trying to sand all the paint and primer off of the body. As soon as I get some pictures this week end i will load them on here for all to see. The way it looks it might not be completely done for him for Christmas but at least it should be drivable. since he hasnt driven it since 1980 i think it will be an awesome Christmas present.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update on father in laws truck

Hi all I was hoping to get this done by christmas but there is no way with my work schedule, But i took all last week off and got both sides of the cab rust replaced with new metal (inner and outer rear cab corners, steps, lower hinge pockets , inner and outer front cab corners and fender brackets all welded in. A bunch of holes in the cab are all welded up and I got the bottom of the cab and firewall painted. The cab is back on the chassis. WOO HOO!!!! If We had a steering coulm on the chassis my father inlaw wanted to strap a seat to it and drive it. (BAD IDEA I KNOW!) but we didn't, LOL the exhaust system, brakes, and drivetrain is ready to rock and roll just need to finish the body and assemble it. let me know what you think it has been alot of work but worth every minute of time I have been putting into it to see a happy man.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.