Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at 2 different car covers. I know they are not the best, But they are a start. My concern is my car will have 2 rear antenna's, Haven't bouth them yet so don't know if when fully put down if they would be flush with the body and not harm the cover or make the cover stick up.

Here are the 2 covers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Bel-A...let&hash=item2a24f62b38&vxp=mtr#ht_5129wt_992

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30091258075...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5238wt_992

Your thoughts please. My car will be almost always indoors, but want something to help keep it clean

All thoughts are greatly appreciated
Shawn

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
I taped a square (duct tape inside and out) over the spot where my antenna was then made a hole through the tape. That works great:anim_25:

bowtie-trifive and the hole gets no bigger....

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
I am looking at 2 different car covers. I know they are not the best, But they are a start. My concern is my car will have 2 rear antenna's, Haven't bouth them yet so don't know if when fully put down if they would be flush with the body and not harm the cover or make the cover stick up.

Here are the 2 covers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Bel-A...let&hash=item2a24f62b38&vxp=mtr#ht_5129wt_992

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30091258075...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5238wt_992

Your thoughts please. My car will be almost always indoors, but want something to help keep it clean

Shawn
Shawn, It appears that both of those covers are a "universal" type cover. It has been my experience with them that they don't fit a trifive very well. You would be better off spending a bit more and getting a cover that is made for a 57, Yes they are a bit different than a 55/56 cover.
As far as the rear antennas, They do not go down all the way. They stick up about 5-6 inches when all the way down. How did the templates work out?

·
RIP 06-08-2022
8,304 Posts
Mike Phillips and I have spoken on this subject several times.Our conclusion............3 flannel blankets folded as they are put on and taken off.Dust generally comes from above and a lot of car covers can scratch soft paint.JOP.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts
Shawn....Agree with Bruce.....The first may be somewhat less generic....However, a 57 cover is not the same as a 55/56 , due to its tail fins....As far as the antennas go, I retract mine all the way and use a radiator hose to protect the cover.....Same with the bird on my 55.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts

Here are the 2 covers.

and

Shawn

In the past, I purchased 4 car covers from California Car Cover. Some were for inside; others for outside. They weren't cheap but they were very nice. Fit well. Held up perfectly. Matter of fact, I still have all 4. Recently, I went to purchase a cover for my '64 SS. Sticker shock. I refused to pay what they wanted and found another on line for about $100.00 less. As of this date, I haven't had any problems with it but I haven't had it that long either. I looked at those covers you mentioned and don't know why they wouldn't work for you. Your car is going to be inside and you want to keep the dust off. They should do it. If you could find one with a flannel lining for a few bucks more, I would go with it. If it was an outside cover, I'd be more concerned. As for your antennas, my '64 also has dual antennas mounted in the rear. What I did is I undid them and dropped them in the trunk. I put the cover on and put a piece of duck tape on the underside, of the cover, where the antenna hole is. Poked a hole through the center and little by little, cut the whole out to fit the antenna. The duct tape keeps everything from fraying and the hole looks factory. Well, there you have it, Carmine.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
No way would I go with a universal cover. When it comes to the 56, I take my time in the garage. Every night she gets covered in a form fitting flannel, indoor cover. I have a antenna that sticks up about 5 inches. I have some foam pipe insulators that I use to cover antenna and bird.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I would get a cover for a 57. There is a good one on ebay that covers the hole car even over the tires and about 6 inches to the floor. That's the one I use. Holding up good so far. Don't get the breathable ones as rain does go thru them . I used to find my hood and trunk wet with moisture using that one. I think the heavy plastic ones are a better choice IMO

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I've had my California cover for 14 years now and it is great, now my car is always garage kept but I don't think you can go wrong with one of those. After all the work and money you have in the car I would invest in one that fits your car and is a quality cover.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would get a cover for a 57. There is a good one on ebay that covers the hole car even over the tires and about 6 inches to the floor. That's the one I use. Holding up good so far. Don't get the breathable ones as rain does go thru them . I used to find my hood and trunk wet with moisture using that one. I think the heavy plastic ones are a better choice IMO
Do you know what one it is, a link or item number?
Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had my California cover for 14 years now and it is great, now my car is always garage kept but I don't think you can go wrong with one of those. After all the work and money you have in the car I would invest in one that fits your car and is a quality cover.
Where do I find the California cover?
Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Hi Shawn
I have used these California Covers on both of our cars and they are great, a little expensive but well worth it. Our 57 4dr hardtop has the accessory rear aerials and they fit the cover ok, although they supply patches to make the holes if needed.
The website to order from is here
http://www.calcarcover.com/c_covermaterials/car/4/1957/Chevrolet/Bel_Air/All/All/1/
We use the Plushweave gray covers, no deterioration and they can be machine washed if required.
Rod.

Reactions: twin engines

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I bought the second cover of your choices for my 55 Nomad. I absolutely love it. If I what to do some messy work or paint in my garage ,I simply put the cover on my Nomad and cover the cover with plastic or old sheets to keep the cover clean. It looks and works great. Can't beat the price either. Also mine was made in the USA. :gba::anim_25:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Hi Shawn
I have used these California Covers on both of our cars and they are great, a little expensive but well worth it. Our 57 4dr hardtop has the accessory rear aerials and they fit the cover ok, although they supply patches to make the holes if needed.
The website to order from is here
http://www.calcarcover.com/c_covermaterials/car/4/1957/Chevrolet/Bel_Air/All/All/1/
We use the Plushweave gray covers, no deterioration and they can be machine washed if required.
Rod.
These are good too

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
Recommended Reading strikes yet again!! 7 year old post...imagine the OP has purchased a cover before now...

Man! - I wish they would either discontinue it, move it, or something...
Not only did he get a cover but he sold his car & the cover a few years ago.

For the most part this "recommended reading" is nothing more than click bait.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.