Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us have been trying to figure just how much of General Motors is going to China....I've seen a couple of clips on u-tube..... personally I think this is SAD....:bowtieb:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
67,715 Posts
sometimes, were our worst enemy. :secruity:

·
Registered
11,156 Posts

·
Registered
37,238 Posts
My question is this: Are GM cars made in China going to be brought to the U.S. to sell?...
GM has always been somewhat open about cars/trucks sold in the US that were built in Canada and Mexico. I.e., you could see that in the VIN. We would hear about it if they were importing from China. You can bet it will be a low end vehicle if they do it.

Myself, I don't worry too much about it. If they want to build and sell cars in Asia, let them go for it. If it's a car or truck I want to buy, I want to know first that it's the best value for me. Where it's built is part of that decision on the value.

To me that is a separate issue from how they spend their US Gov't subsidies, which I may or may not agree with (guess what I don't agree with).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thank about it would it make good business sense for GM to build a car in China even if labor was free which its not of course and then ship it back here to sell? All the money they saved in production cost would be eaten up by transportation, incoming inspections customs fees etc. So I would say its more likely they are building them there for the Asian market. That being said maybe some day in the not too distant future people in China will be bitching damned American's are coming here building stuff in our country.......:flag6::flag6::flag6:
Maybe they will be hot-rodders over there some day, I wonder how you say Tri-Five Chevy in Chinese? ....................:sign0020::sign0020::sign0020:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well one doesn't need fact check by the Annenberg (Marxists) to tell us what the GM CEO says in the you tube video now does it. Listen to what he says, is he lying? No he tells you exactly what their doing and you and our Tax dollars are paying for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo

Is he lying? I don't think so, you can't lie in China, only in America can you lie and get away with it when you work for the govt! (oh sounds like China)

Bob H

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Some of us have been trying to figure just how much of General Motors is going to China....I've seen a couple of clips on u-tube..... personally I think this is SAD....:bowtieb:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive
So Mickey, what do you think the people in TN that work for VW and Nissan would say? Is it bad for a foreign company to build things in another country?

Charlie

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here in southeast Michigan, home turf of GM, Ford and Chrysler, all three companies are spending hundreds of millions on upgrading manufacturing facilities and hiring people for manufacturing and engineering. They are also bringing work back to Michigan and Ohio from Mexico and China.

There is also a strong contingent of parts supplier companies in this area, both domestic and foreign. They too are growing and expanding.

Even the foreign manufacturers realize they need to be in this area. Toyota and Nissan have a major presence locally. VW is here as well.

All of this is good news to us here. Since this area lives and dies on the auto industry the events of the last few years hit really hard here. Lots of people left after losing their jobs. Unless you live around here you wouldn't realize the extent of how many different jobs are somehow linked to the car biz.

There are a lot of small and medium sized companies that provide something that is needed. Even all the way down to little one man machine shops in a garage, like one of my neighbors who makes small batches of high-end precision prototype parts.

So yes it hurts to hear about work leaving, but work is also returning and the industry is growing domestically even in spite of things leaving.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I was in China a few years back and let me tell you, it is the world's largest emerging market for automobiles. I thought I was going to see millions of bicycles, what I saw was one big traffic jam. Buick sells a lot of vans there. And I thought to myself, wow, if they had that style here in the U.S., they'd actually sell some vans. Bottom line, in my opinion, the more money we can bring back to the U.S. the better. Sell, sell, sell cars in China. Their workforce is getting a higher standard of living and starving for cars. A few more highways would be good too.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts