Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, The Golden Gate Bridge is singing today because of the 40-50 mph winds. It is a huge wind instrument. The bridge is making a very eerie, haunting noise similar to an organ. The bridge is designed to sway up to 27' from side to side, and designed to move up to 15' vertically. I drove my '55 wgn across the bridge once when it was swaying and it made for a very exciting ride.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Very cool bridge and very cool area! Used to live in Monterey and my daughter goes to school near there, so it’s an area I see from time time.
Hadn’t heard it was that windy up there today!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The Mackinaw bridge sways in the wind too. I don't know if it sings though. I know it's fun in the winter. I have walked the Mackinaw bridge. (Labor Day thing) and you could feel it swing. The Mackinaw bridge is much longer then the Golden Gate but not quite as tall.
Todd

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,002 Posts
If a bridge begin 'singing' and swaying to the music... I think I'm going to find another way around.. :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Singing and swaying to the mic are all well and good. Now…if the thing starts to twerk..? 😬

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
The G Gate bridge scares some drivers so bad, that they have substitute drivers at both ends, to drive you across!

• Wow
Reactions: davidc

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,002 Posts
So I suppose if it begins doing that and you HAVE to cross, just treat it like the high banks at Talladega... press accelerator to the floor, hold the steering wheel straight... (and close your eyes if you must).. :)

·
Registered
68,433 Posts
YIKES! not going on that in any wind.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, The Golden Gate Bridge is singing today because of the 40-50 mph winds. It is a huge wind instrument. The bridge is making a very eerie, haunting noise similar to an organ. The bridge is designed to sway up to 27' from side to side, and designed to move up to 15' vertically. I drove my '55 wgn across the bridge once when it was swaying and it made for a very exciting ride.
yeah its highly Fricken annoying ....
i live about 5 blocks from Baker Beach and you cant escape the noise..:mad:
its like driving down the freeway with a extension ladder tied down to ladder rack
only on certain days when wind blows a particular way...
it started a few years ago, after installing new handrails/fencing to make it safer for toddlers and pets..
cant remember but think there was a gap between pavement and sidewalk in some areas, wide enough where potentially a toddler could fall thru ??
so it has been re configured and now we are stuck with the noise.. (engineering foo paa)

·
Premium Member
13,929 Posts
yeah its highly Fricken annoying ....
i live about 5 blocks from Baker Beach and you cant escape the noise..:mad:
its like driving down the freeway with a extension ladder tied down to ladder rack
only on certain days when wind blows a particular way...
it started a few years ago, after installing new handrails/fencing to make it safer for toddlers and pets..
cant remember but think there was a gap between pavement and sidewalk in some areas, wide enough where potentially a toddler could fall thru ??
so it has been re configured and now we are stuck with the noise.. (engineering foo paa)

Was wondering about that. I’ve lived about 70 miles from that bridge since about 67 or so, and have been back and forth over it quite a few times for work over the decades. Never once heard that noise, and have never heard of it doing that til now.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,129 Posts
I'd guess that high pitched vibration (sounds like a resonant vibration) is not good for it. Adding weights to the right points should stop the noise.
I've read that the bridge is constantly being painted. By the time it's done, it's time to start over at the other end.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd guess that high pitched vibration (sounds like a resonant vibration) is not good for it. Adding weights to the right points should stop the noise.
I was wondering about that too, but it appears it's not a vibration through the suspension cables nor the roadway, but through some sidewalk railing slats they installed for the bike path. I'm guessing it's so bicyclers don't get blown off the bridge in high winds. 😁 Apparenlty they knew this was going to happen:

"The reason for the chilling aria? Wind vibrating against new sidewalk railing slats installed along the span’s bike path. “The new musical tones coming from the bridge are a known and inevitable phenomenon that stem from our wind retrofit during very high winds,” said Paolo Cosulich-Schwartz of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway & Transportation District, in a written statement. “As part of the design process, the district did extensive studies on the impacts of the project, including wind-tunnel testing of a scale model of the Golden Gate Bridge under high winds.”"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts