Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
70,863 Posts
Where does the problem lie, is it in the dyes when the metal is pressed.

Bondo is good for shaping depending on what you want to replicate.

You could make up your own dyes to put an imprint on the metal.

Shoot us some pics

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do you know if you have the redesigned quarter panel? I have been told that all previous complaints have been corrected with the latest version that was released. I am currently waiting on mine which are on back order from GS (HT full version). There are vendors who have them in stock but since GS did not change the part number or provide a revision number it is not possible for me to be sure that I am getting the latest revision unless I get them directly from GS. If you bought them through Restoration World you my want to give them a call to see what can be done. If you have the older revision they might be able to work a deal with GS to get you newer revision.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will post pics later. Thanks!

Texas55, I was told they made no changes to the sedan quarter (which is what I have) and like I said in another thread Restoration World said they never had any complaints about the sedan :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: only the hardtop. Even if they did change the sedan and offered me one for free I'm not sure I would cut off the bad one and replace it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe it's time to learn how to do lead work, that's the only way I can see to do it without major reconstruction. Or, leave it like it is and loose sleep every night thinking about it. :sign0020:

I've seen a few 55's at shows and I can tell instantly when they have Golden Star quarters installed and I don't mean that in a good way. Really a shame.

Maybe I can fly Robert down to fix these for me. Hey Robert!!!! Call me.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I will post pics later. Thanks!

Texas55, I was told they made no changes to the sedan quarter (which is what I have) and like I said in another thread Restoration World said they never had any complaints about the sedan :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: only the hardtop. Even if they did change the sedan and offered me one for free I'm not sure I would cut off the bad one and replace it.
That line sounds familiar from Resto-World. I've spent several thousand dollars on junk Golden Star parts from Resto-World. I was told the reproduction '57 fenders fit like a dream. I must have been dreaming to believe that. I would do damn near anything to save a factory quarter, fender, hood, etc to not ever use a Golden Star anything from Resto-World.

But I'm not bitter :)

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
Doc, how close is photo #1 to a stock fender contour? Is a stock fender nearly the same contour at both locations? (I think it is, but I haven't put a contour gauge on one.)

Maybe MP&C can comment on how to fix, I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
I didn't have a real contour gauge, but I measured the height of the lip relative to the flat above it on a stock quarter using a machinist's square as a depth gauge.

The stock fender lip is 5/8" high near the front, and 9/16" high near the rear. So there's a small difference. Also I think it flares outward a small bit after it goes around the corner at the rear. So the contour gap in your first photo post is there on a stock quarter, but probably not as exaggerated as yours.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Rick yes that info does help.

Has Restoration World and Golden Star seen these pictures? What was their response?
I have not sent them any pic's. I gave up on them long ago.

Here is a picture of my brand new pass side sedan full GS quarter block sanded, drivers side also has issues. Guess I should have checked before I installed it if that would have been possible, I mean how could I block sand not mounted. To try and fix it since some areas have no access is going to be difficult. I think somebody out there hates me and their name is Golden Star.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have seen stuff like this before and bondo is not the way to fix it. For that matter bono or lead should not be used to "fix" anything like that. Its used to cover seams where two panels meet etc. I have an idea what MP&C is going to say is his fix but I will defer to the master metal man.....:tu

I personally like Danchuck's panels. I don't want to get into the American made vs where ever else they are made debate and hijack this thread but I have seen an obvious difference in fit and craftsmanship so thats who gets my money. Even with the best made parts including OEM you some times need to massage them a little to get the right fit but its never that easy for me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.