Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a 96 camaro. Used obviously, not rebuilt. Says it's shifts fine and has no problems. Is there anything specific I should look for or need to know when shopping for these used trannies since I don't know much about them?

Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
38,701 Posts
Not much you can do except see if it goes in each gear, that the case isn't cracked, and there's no missing pieces.

Unless of course, it's still in that Camaro and it runs - then you can drive it.

Be sure to grab the clutch, flywheel, and master/slave assembly if avaliable. Maybe even the pedal assembly.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much you can do except see if it goes in each gear, that the case isn't cracked, and there's no missing pieces.

Unless of course, it's still in that Camaro and it runs - then you can drive it.

Be sure to grab the clutch, flywheel, and master/slave assembly if avaliable. Maybe even the pedal assembly.
Rick, for the pedal assembly, how important is that? I mean, will the stock pedals work?

·
Registered
38,701 Posts
"Rick, for the pedal assembly, how important is that? I mean, will the stock pedals work?"

Actually it's got to be easier to make the stock 55-57 pedals work. But there may be a bracket or fastener on the assembly that will make your life easier.

This assumes they would be free for the asking, and they sometimes are. I don't think I'd pay real money for them.

I certainly wouldn't pay too much for the clutch assembly either, but the flywheel is worth something.

Lots of guys throw these things in with the sale. My attitude is take them with me and throw them away later if unused.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi Mike ,you didn't say what engine you have . If you have a one piece rear seal You can use all of the LT1 fly wheel and clutch assy . Danchuk has a neet clutch master set up that mounts above the stock petal. If you have a two piece rear seal you will have a couple of ways to go . If you want to keep the stock LT1 clutch and hyd set up you need a different flywheel to the tune of near $500. What I did was go with a adaptor plate so I could use my stock aluminum (camaro) bell housing and clutch ,They go for $125 to $190 and you will have to get a input shaft for a 98 up LS1 $184 , you need the extra length for the adapter and a extended pilot bearing and if you want the shifter to miss the front seat (bench , buckets won't need it) you need a forward shifter $290. I got all I need at the gear box. The T56 is longer then all other standard trans. You will need to shorten the drive shaft. Also move or add another x member for a trans mount. Don

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mike ,you didn't say what engine you have . If you have a one piece rear seal You can use all of the LT1 fly wheel and clutch assy . Danchuk has a neet clutch master set up that mounts above the stock petal. If you have a two piece rear seal you will have a couple of ways to go . If you want to keep the stock LT1 clutch and hyd set up you need a different flywheel to the tune of near $500. What I did was go with a adaptor plate so I could use my stock aluminum (camaro) bell housing and clutch ,They go for $125 to $190 and you will have to get a input shaft for a 98 up LS1 $184 , you need the extra length for the adapter and a extended pilot bearing and if you want the shifter to miss the front seat (bench , buckets won't need it) you need a forward shifter $290. I got all I need at the gear box. The T56 is longer then all other standard trans. You will need to shorten the drive shaft. Also move or add another x member for a trans mount. Don
Thanks for the info. I don't have a motor yet. I am still looking for a 350 to build. I see these t56's on ebay for no less than 1500 bucks. This one is 800. So I don't know if that's a great deal or not since it's used and the ones on ebay are rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mike,
There is a guy here in Dallas that everyone says is excellent if you need to rebuild it. I don't have his site handy but if you need it, I can find it and post.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,
There is a guy here in Dallas that everyone says is excellent if you need to rebuild it. I don't have his site handy but if you need it, I can find it and post.

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to get to look at it yet. Yard work and those other pesky obligations are getting in the way!

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Be careful that you don't put too much $ in a used one that you have to get rebuilt. You might come out within just a couple of hundred of a new one.

I bought the new version of the T56 called the Magnum. They run $2,795. It has several improvements in it and will handle 700ft-lbs of torque. The T56 Magnum is the aftermarket version of the TR-6060 that they put in the new Vettes. The Magnum is available in 2 different ratios. I went with the wide version that has a 2.97 first and .50 6th.

The older aftermarket version T56 (450 ft-lbs) is $2,595 and is only available in one ratio with a 2.97 first and .62 6th. This one will bolt up to a SBC bell without mods. The Magnum will not, it's for LS engines (and needs the same kind of mods to bolt up to a SBC as the Camaro LS version does). They're supposed to come out with a Magnum that will but it's not available yet.

Replacement Camaro T56s are available new as well and are $2,595. They have a 2.66 first and a .50 6th.

Keep in mind that the Camaro LT1 version of the T56 and the Camaro LS version have different input shaft lengths.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.