Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seeing as my Welcome post has been closed and I cant respond to the very open and warm Welcome from all here at TriFive.com I will do so here.
Thanks for the welcome, and thank you for the condolences about the passing of my Father John Schermerhorn. Some of you out there will have met my Dad and Mom(Mary) as the did quite a few Classic Chevy shows through the 90's and into the 2000's.

Also there has been a few requests for pics of this car. So here we go. These were taken a few days ago, just before Mom left for the show down in Nashua, NH which started yesterday through this weekend.

Engine, non stock battery(tartop noty installed) and aux. cooling fan that comes out for judging.

Lawnchairs in the back seat

Numbers off of the seamless frame

Trike that Dad built, last tagged for 1974, Volkwagen 140cc transaxle, Harley "66" front end Directly under the the fuel tank there is a 75lb piece of lead welded in the frame to keep from popping wheelies all the time. There are "wheelie bars" that are located under the trailer hitch at the back. They scrub on the pavement and spark.

Pic of Dad's 5 person bike that he rode in the late 60's local parades. After getting it back after storing it at a the place where he started working when he was 15 years old, we rode it in the 2010 May 24 parade, but we blew the Anglia 3 speed trans 5 minutes in. We got a Chevette 5 speed and completed the July 1st Canada Day parade in 2010. Same bike, was ridden in the same parade 40 years earlier, but Dad was the only rider still alive in 2010, the other 4 riders had passed. Dad was pedaling with his prosthetic leg. I was steering, Mom, Dad and 2 neighbours were pedaling and 1 of them was shifting, sitting in the rear seat.
I have ridden this solo, its very tough to do.

Thanks again for the welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

peace
Hog

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Jim, that's a cream puff 57 you got there!! love everything about it!!! Thanks for sharing it along with those other unusual pictures... BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice Car! :sign0016:

oh no i drooled on my computer :sign0020:

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
beautiful ht, thanks for sharing hog. :tu

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
Sure is a beauty, I was trying to work out what was added to the ashtray, just the cig lighter laying there.

Hope to see it around the traps :tu

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
That is an awesome looking 57 Chevy !! :tu

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I assume you are the same Hog that posts on pacificp?

If so much respect and Welcome to trifive!!
Yes, that's me. Hog/Pauly

Are you a member there as well? How might I know you? You seem to be very active on these forums, so much respect back to you as well.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure is a beauty, I was trying to work out what was added to the ashtray, just the cig lighter laying there.

Hope to see it around the traps :tu
Yes I took a pic with it in the ash tray, then realized what I had done and retook another with the lighter back where it should be.

Thn you and thanks to everyone else for the nice comments.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,009 Posts
Yes, that's me. Hog/Pauly

Who are you?

peace
Hog
My name Scott and I am not on there. I just read alot of your post years ago when I use to have an L31 in my Scout II and a 1999 classic GMT400 with a L31 as well. So I followed your post and info else where. I miss my old 99 it was a good truck. Even though it was under powered!:sign0020:

Now I have a LQ4 in my Scout and just mess with LS stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My name Scott and I am not on there. I just read alot of your post years ago when I use to have an L31 in my Scout II and a 1999 classic GMT400 with a L31 as well. So I followed your post and info else where. I miss my old 99 it was a good truck. Even though it was under powered!:sign0020:

Now I have a LQ4 in my Scout and just mess with LS stuff.
Hi Scott, my name is Paul. I am kind of a Vortec 350 freak, as you know. I currently have 3 GMT400 trucks. Lets just say that I can fix almost any issue that comes. I have a bunch of parts for these trucks in stock and do the PCM tuning in 2 of them.

Those GEn3/4' sure do make the power, once you wait for the revs to come. lol.

Nice to make your acquaintence, I hope that my advice on the GMT-400's was sound.

peace
Hog

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,009 Posts
Hi Scott, my name is Paul. I am kind of a Vortec 350 freak, as you know. I currently have 3 GMT400 trucks. Lets just say that I can fix almost any issue that comes. I have a bunch of parts for these trucks in stock and do the PCM tuning in 2 of them.

Those GEn3/4' sure do make the power, once you wait for the revs to come. lol.
I swapped the L31 for a LM7 5.3L and hated it in my Scout II. As the 350 made power almost instantly and pulled like a mule but runs out above 5k stock. The 5.3L you had to wait till at least 3500-4000 rpms before it got going. The 6.0L is more like the 350 makes nice torque and power down low but pulls hard to 6k easily.

I ended up spinning a #1 rod bearing in my 99 and that's what sealed the deal for the L31 as well as the internal coolant leaks. But still a very good motor.

I have even seen guys doing DIY LS injection and coil pack swaps on the L31's with marine intakes or ramjets. Kinda neat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swapped the L31 for a LM7 5.3L and hated it in my Scout II. As the 350 made power almost instantly and pulled like a mule but runs out above 5k stock. The 5.3L you had to wait till at least 3500-4000 rpms before it got going. The 6.0L is more like the 350 makes nice torque and power down low but pulls hard to 6k easily.

I ended up spinning a #1 rod bearing in my 99 and that's what sealed the deal for the L31 as well as the internal coolant leaks. But still a very good motor.

I have even seen guys doing DIY LS injection and coil pack swaps on the L31's with marine intakes or ramjets. Kinda neat.
Once you upgrade to the 512kb PCM like the 411, and get a 24x reluctor reading you can do lots of cool things like you mention. CNP(Coil Near Plug ignition that the GEN 3/4's use, ETC(Electronic Throttle Control).

The 1998-2001 7.4l L21 BBC in the Workhorse and Kodiak heavy trucks used a Vortec 454 engine, with CNP ignition and ETC from the factory. It also uses the 512kb PCM. The reluctor is sized for BBC's so it wont directly fit on the SBC crank snout. This is what EFIConnection did, made the 24x relcutor fit the SBC crank snout.
The L21 24x reluctor is $20 from GM, the crank sensor is $70 IIRC.
Reluctor - 12552480
Crank sensor - 10456248

If you have a BBC in a Trifive, you get 1 of each of those, grab a 0411 PCM(the best of the 512kb PCM's IMO) and enjoy your fuel injected engine with CNP ignition.
If you want to use a cable throttle then use the calibration file from a 2002 F0body(Camaro/Firebird) that originally had an LS1, or if you wish to enjoy an electronically controlled throttle, then use a 2002-2003 LS1 Corvette calibration.
Using either of these calibrations will have you big old BBC thinking its an overgrown LS1 engine.
I remember keeping athread where anyone could dump info about the 2001-2002 Chev vans that had the newer 512 kb silver dual 80 pin connectored PCM's AND were powered by the GEN 1-E Vortec 350 L31 engines.
The L31 engines still had their 4x crank reluctors in 2001-2002 just like 96_2002, so there had to be something in the calibrations that allowed the 4x relcutor to be read by the PCM's that usually used the 24x reluctors on the LS1/LS6.
This thread sat for months, then years, then I got and email with some pinouts(thanks Airdeano), then the 0411 retrofit was born. Then in 2005 when the release of Tunercats OBD2 came out, this blew the L31 marine intake and 0411 retrofit projects wide open. A guy tagged Lextech took the pinouts and built an actual swap diagrams that takes a Vortec 350 truck that has the "4 connectors blackbox" PCM's and retrofits in a 411 PCM and uses a 2001 or 2002 L31 Van calibration in that 411 PCM.
There are retrofit spreadsheets for the 1996 GM trucks, 1997 trucks and the 1998-2000 GMT 400 truck types. There are a couple differnces between the 96 and 97, then in 98 VATS was added,plus the emissions equipement changed.
Lextech makes tehse spreadsheets available to whomever wants them, just to to the PPE site, or Pacific audio and PM Lextech and he will send you the latest and updated/tested spreadsheet. Pinouts no longer needed.

This has blossomed out to the 3rd Gen F-body guys, vans guys, and like you stated the Tri 5 guys are running some as well.
All you need is the crank signal, crank position sensor(the CPS is specific for the 24x reluctors, the 4x Vortec CPS's wont read correctly), 1996-1998 Vortec 305 or 350 front timing cover to hold the crank position sensor. And the PCM.

Tech is great.

peace
Hog

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,009 Posts
I did alot of research on the above when I was looking to 411 my IH motor. It has GM TBI on it now but I was looking at going with MPFI and coil packs on it. I never did it as it wasn't worth it in the long run for that motor.

There is a thread I made about the EFI connection stuff as well as 411/coil packs on a SBC in the fuel section couple years ago it also list the L21 stuff and most the stuff above but no one was really interested in it and the thread died out.

Did anyone come up with a cheap vortec distributor cover like the L21? I know EFI was making a billet one. But it was $$$. And the L21 cover supply had dried up I thought. And guys were just leaving the plug cap on minus the plug wire since they had coil packs.

I was also looking into deleting the distributor all together and running the late model 4.3L drive oil pump drive on it and running its Cam 4x sensor and 58x crank sensor behind the timing cover a E38 and that would let you run the 6l80/90 behind a SBC. But it would be DBW only though of which one could use the 4.3L DBW TB or run the ramjet intake. Which that would be way cheaper than the EFI connection stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did alot of research on the above when I was looking to 411 my IH motor. It has GM TBI on it now but I was looking at going with MPFI and coil packs on it. I never did it as it wasn't worth it in the long run for that motor.

There is a thread I made about the EFI connection stuff as well as 411/coil packs on a SBC in the fuel section couple years ago it also list the L21 stuff and most the stuff above but no one was really interested in it and the thread died out.

Did anyone come up with a cheap vortec distributor cover like the L21? I know EFI was making a billet one. But it was $$$. And the L21 cover supply had dried up I thought. And guys were just leaving the plug cap on minus the plug wire since they had coil packs.

I was also looking into deleting the distributor all together and running the late model 4.3L drive oil pump drive on it and running its Cam 4x sensor and 58x crank sensor behind the timing cover a E38 and that would let you run the 6l80/90 behind a SBC. But it would be DBW only though of which one could use the 4.3L DBW TB or run the ramjet intake. Which that would be way cheaper than the EFI connection stuff.
OK cool, sounds like you are right up to speed.

EFICon does have dist. covers, no one else has made them. You can still get them from GM, but they have to come mounted to an entire gear/sensor/drive assembly. List is around $400IIRC. there was a bunch of stock plastic dist. covers sitting at an obsolete parts house, but I called with the part number, and EFICon had bough all of their stock only a few days earlier

I do understand why the cost is so high on the EFICon stuff, but I have an issue spending $280 on a 24x reluctor wheel, when the same part from GM with a larger hole in the center only costs $20.

I'm sure Im going to have a to spend a few hours, or probably more like a few days researching stuff here. there are a lot of forums here, almost overwhelming.

You mention the 58x crank 4x cam signals, EFIConnection has done a system for the newer ECMs for the Vortec 305/350 and GEN 2 LT1/99 engines. But again, its expensive.
Take care man.

peace
Hog

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,009 Posts
I do understand why the cost is so high on the EFICon stuff, but I have an issue spending $280 on a 24x reluctor wheel, when the same part from GM with a larger hole in the center only costs $20.

I'm sure Im going to have a to spend a few hours, or probably more like a few days researching stuff here. there are a lot of forums here, almost overwhelming.

You mention the 58x crank 4x cam signals, EFIConnection has done a system for the newer ECMs for the Vortec 305/350 and GEN 2 LT1/99 engines. But again, its expensive.
Take care man.

peace
Hog
I realize they are in it to make money but to me if you made it cheap and affordable you will move more stuff. But there is a special market. I was doing pretty decent selling LS motor but to a job overseas and haven't beenable to sell anything. Now hell everyone is buy used truck motors paint them and selling them. lol

I think the L21 oil drive with the cam sensor isn't to bad if you had to have one anyway. The 4.3L oil drive is $100 from GM new and it doesnt have the sensor. My buddy had bought on but still needed a cam sensor and ended up going with an MSD drop in one with a cam sensor. I would have to look for p/n but he said it was discontinued.

If you looking for specific info here on EFI ask me and I can tell you were to look or if it has been asked here I got a pretty good memory and I have been on here a while and know were most things are.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BO185, thanks man. I'll keep you in mind.

Here is a post I made elsewhere, but I want all these pics here for future use.
thanks

Here are some more pics I have. Many of these are of the making of Clone #1 that Dad was contracted to build of the car he built as a young man that Had the Diamondback rear window.

This is what the guy wanted "Cloned".

So the contractor went a found the original "Diamondback" and bought her to make a clone out of her. That's my "Southern Belle on the ground next to trailered "Diamondback".

DIamondback in this pic is sporting 295/50/15 rear rubber
http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/Paul_Schermerhorn/media/Cars2/023.jpg.html?sort=3&o=45

After careful consideration, it was decided that the original Diamondback wasn't the proper candidate for restoration, so it was decided to build a Diamondback Clone using this car.
This is what we started with.(nice car in its own right)

Out with the control arms, getting ready for a straight axle.

Ready for stripping

Getting her done. That's my Dad on the grinder. Miss you Dad.

Frame ready for restoration, while Diamondback watches on out in the snow
That's the alignment rack where Dad worked for years. Nice 30 ft walk to work every day.

Pictured through the newly cut diamond shaped hole in the rear window of the Clone.

Old paint off

1950 Chev 1/2 ton truck straight front axle in

Frame and rear axle ready to go. These days Clone #1 sports a 425hp ZZ383 crate and a F&*^d 9" rearend.

Beautiful

Working on a 327(no not the L76, it wasn't to be found)

Prettied up

Unloading the body freshly painted way up in Sunridge Ontario.

Down fellas, EASY does it!.

I think Diamondback is a tad jealous of her "Clone" with her shiny paint and all. Don't worry Diamond, there is only truly 1 of you.

Body down

A couple 2 door hardtop fins

3's a crowd, Diamondback, Southern Belle and Clone all in a row. That's a LOT of Tropical Turquoise in 1 picture.

And from the front

rear again

Fins

Grilled

The Master, my Dad working on Clone.

Installing the all important diamond back glass.

wiring anyone?

All done, that's me about to go for a test spin sitting ion milk crates.

Dad and owner taking a spin

Turning into Mom and Dad's place

And here is the original Diamondback today. Don't worry Dad, I'll do you proud. After Clone#1 was built, I asked the owner of CLone #1 to let me know if he wanted to get rid of Diamondback, he instead sold it to the to be owner of Clone#2. After Dad passed away last August, the owner of Clone #2 and Diamondback most generously gave Diamondback to me as well as a truckload of parts. I cant thank this fine sir enough. He had quite the investment in Diamondback before it was abandoned and then he built Clone #2. I cant thank him enough. I really cant believe that Diamondback is back in the family again.

Just so everyone knows just how deep our family's love of 57 Chev's goes. The picture on Dad's gravestone is taken from the picture when Southern Belle was used for the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Superbowl commercial. GM contracted a company in Toronto to do the shoot, I will post the actual pic when I can find it.

Love you Dad.

peace
Hog

1 - 20 of 21 Posts