Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
In my cars

Have had it in my cars for a couple of years. No problems. Put it in when I bought new tires. Thry gon back for balance and rotation at 6-7000 miles.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Nitrogen in your tires Any opions or thoughts. Thanks

By volume, dry air contains 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide,

In Navy we only used nitrogen for aircraft Tire But reason was to cut down on corrosion. They still leak down (375 PSI at sea on main mounts for F4j"s)

I do not see a need for it on car tires. Just something else to sell you.

Ps I don't change my oil at 3000 mile or change antifreeze either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
AIR

I,VE READ A FEW ARTICLES ABOUT IT. CAN,T HURT BUT MORE JUST A MONEY MAKER FOR THE SHOPS, I STICK WITH GOOD OLD MOUNTAIN AIR!!DICK

·
Registered
37,254 Posts
Dry air would be just as good.

The reason to use nitrogen is that compressed nitrogen in a tank from the welding supply is dry. It's easy to get and not all that expensive. I don't know of ready sources of dry air. You can make it on site with a compressor and an expensive air drier. But that's a lot more expensive than just buying tanks of dry nitrogen. And you have to maintain the drier.

The main benefit of dry air or dry nitrogen is that water vapor in the typical air compressor system is the biggest cause of expansion with temperature when the tire heats up. So with dry air or dry nitrogen, the pressure won't increase as much from cold to hot. Plus you don't have the other negative effects of water.

It's a fairly subtle thing or you would see it more. It's a bigger deal with race car tires. The Nascar guys see a difference in the handling with a 1/4 psi change in pressure, and they see a big change from cold to hot. Most of us can't even measure it within 2-3 psi. A lot of late models have the air pressure monitors. My truck will see a 3-4 psi change from cold to hot with regular compressed air.

·
Registered
67,750 Posts
air is free (in some places). free works for me. :party0024:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I bought a used mustang a few years. The owner told me it had Nitrogen in the tires. I did a little research and see no benefit to buying Nitrogen verses Free Air! I guess the green caps mean the vehicle has nitrogen in the tires. I'll stick with regular free air!:) Frank

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I do not run it in the 55, but I do in my Corvette. It seems to keep the tire pressure more stable, then air which fluctuates with the heat or cold environment and driving style. Since I go run some track days, I have found there is very little psi change on nitrogen. IMO

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Just another BS cash grab ; air still works fine right off the compressor . Don't believe the hype , or you'll find yourself owning the Brooklyn bridge . They say there's one born every minute , though . No Nitrogen in our tires , nor will there be . Be safe...Bob.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Using normal compress air in a driver is fine but the pressure does change depending on conditions. This is no big deal on street cars and is not worth the price. Using Nitrogen under high performance driving is preferred, because it does not vary as much as compressed air does under racing conditions. If you are on a track, you can feel tire pressure changes on compressed air as you go. That is why you see Nitrogen in almost all classes and types of racing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Still Looking for a 56

Up here people I see use it tell me it is more stable during the winter weather changes. Dunno more than that...never tried it.
Are you really still looking for a 56? I saw a post about the car show in St. Cloud Minn in June. I am thinking about driving out with my car trailer and hoping to find a driver that is ready for the street. You might consider doing the same thing. The article says they have over 12,000 cars at the show and none of them are new than 1964, and no Mustangs. Bring a trailer and some cash and I bet you can drive home with a 56. The show is 3 days and it might take that long to get around to everybody. Hope to see you there.
Larry From Tulare, CA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts