Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good new replacement for the stock shocks, height, and suspension? Can't find any rebuildable original ones or NOS.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
With today's shock technology, and many makers going to gas shocks, I'm not surprised you can't find rebuildable shocks. It wasn't that easy to find them before, and less so now.

I too have used Monroe shocks more often than other brands. I have had good luck with them, but they were bought out a couple years ago, and now the last set I bought were marked Tennesco, which is a company based in Tennessee that's buying up a lot of auto parts manufacturers. We'll see how this pair works compared to previous Monroe.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Original 'trifive' shocks, and most Chevrolet/GM shocks thru the 50's til the 70's, were made by Delco and could be identified by the 'spiral' construction of the lower shock body. They could be identified specifically by a PART NUMBER and DATE that was stamped into the lower portion of the shock if you are trying to be perfectly original (and assuming you KNOW what part number your car came with!).. :)

That said, many people building chevys/gm cars for ORIGINAL Judging purposes do still TRY to find and restore original shocks, and for some there are reproductions available, and I think there are companies that even TRY to rebuild original shocks (should you be lucky enough to find some), but the Originals were POOR and generally needed replacement inside of 12 months time, and the reproductions and rebuilds are even worse!

ANY modern shock you buy today will be worlds' better than the originals and last longer also. Back in the 70's Sears sold a HD shock for less than $10 with a LIFETIME warranty.. and that was about all I used on my trifives at the time.. when they got soft.. just remove them and take them in for exchange!
Buy Monroes - they are probably the best from a cost effective perspective... and they can be bought almost any place that sells shocks.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think in 2020 there are more chances to find the spare parts on Aliexpress than in your local store
OP listed as jane477...1 post. Hmmm...

Info from Wikipedia: "AliExpress is an online retail service based in China...It directly connects Chinese businesses with buyers...AliExpress does not allow customers in mainland China to buy from the platform, though most retailers are Chinese themselves."

Never noticed this kind of thing before the new format, although it may have occurred. But I have seen it a few times since. Just an observation.

JR

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Blatant SPAM... shouldn't the moderators take care of this 'person' and their post?

·
49,411 Posts
Blatant SPAM... shouldn't the moderators take care of this 'person' and their post?
Moderators do not have time to read every post...We depend upon the members to report site offenses.

I just happened to come across this one and took care of it

Before the new platform, Terry spent many hours filtering through new members registrations, checking for legitimacy...Now, for the most part, it is done by computer software....For the most part, it works well...But, occasionally, one will slip through the crack.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Thanks David .. :) Wasn't complaining, just asking if you could still DELETE such messages and posts and users? :)

·
49,411 Posts
Thanks David .. :) Wasn't complaining, just asking if you could still DELETE such messages and posts and users? :)
If I understand what you are asking Gary, yes we can and do....Every time the new software recognizes a new user as suspicious, we get an alert with reasons why....At that point we examine the user's IP and email address and other criteria that may look shady...We can then approve/disapprove their existence at the site....We did not get an alert on this particular user....However, their have been a multitude of them that I have gotten rid of.

·
49,411 Posts
chrs191815.....Sorry for our off topic discussion...You can reclaim your time now :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
chrs191815.....Sorry for our off topic discussion...You can reclaim your time now :D
:LOL: ...reclaiming your time.... I think this is a far more honorable forum than our current * * * * Pops...that made me laugh out loud. But to put this thread back on track....

I haven't been able to look for shocks on my project yet because I am a ways off from establishing ride height and suspension travel - although stock specs may wind up being okay. However - I remember reading somewhere a good argument for using standard oil filled shocks vs. current gas shocks, or any of the new super duper offerings, when the suspension is essentially unchanged from stock. Seemed to make sense, and wish I could recall where I read it. Although I'm not concerned about original appearance as is the OP, I'd like some suggestions from those who also have a stock (although slightly lowered) suspension that gets plenty of street and highway use - ?
JR

****Had to edit out the political reference JR....Appreciate your understanding...Pops :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts