Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I'm frustrated with my original electric windshield wiper setup. The issue is with the transmissions and the arms. I bought "rebuilt" transmissions from CCI about 10 years ago, and bought new arms and blades from Danchuk a couple years ago. The motor is original and works great.

I'm very familiar with how the cables work and how to tension them by pushing in, etc., but the arms never moved right. I experienced "snap and over-travel" as defined in the shop manual. I later traced the problem to stripped internals inside the wiper transmissions themselves. There's a little clutch in there with tiny teeth that keep the pulley and shaft engaged. The problem is the thing is made of pot metal...enough said.

The new arms, where they mount to the transmissions, are pot metal too and very flimsy. They don't solidly engage when installed, and there's a flimsy metal tab that always bends. Several times the arm has flown off and landed on the cowl when operating. I am very disappointed after spending a lot on them...it seems like more thought was put into the shine rather than the function.

Long story short....anybody know where I can get some solid original style transmissions and arms that are built right? Does anybody make new ones out of anything better than pot metal?

Thanks and happy holidays to all loyal Chevy owners out there!!!

John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,181 Posts
John, I have a very nice pair of original transmissions from a low mile 56 I just parted out. Good cables & clutches on both. I'm not sure about good arms though, I may have a pair of NOS 56 electric arms. I would have to look tomorrow, PM me if you are interested.

-Bruce

1 - 2 of 2 Posts