Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've tried twice to weld little projects and did alright I guess. What welder would you suggest for some one with little to no experience? I was thinking of that combo plasma/Tig/Stick.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I don't think a plasma/tig/stick welder is a good choice for a newbie welder.

What I would recommend is a mig welder. A flux core welder is similar but it uses flux in the wire for shielding the weld, where a mig welder uses gas. The mig welder will give you a much cleaner weld without spatter, and you don't have to clean off the flux after welding. Flux core is best for outdoor welding where the wind would blow the gas shield away, or for certain types of heavy structural welding. Its only other positive aspect is that it's cheaper than gas.

Whether you buy a 110v mig welder or a 220v mig welder depends on what you're going to be welding. For sheet metal and up to 1/8" thick material or maybe a little thicker, the 110v welder will do just fine. If you're going to be welding thicker stuff, then you need the extra power of the 220v welder, and it will do just fine on the sheet metal too.

Having a plasma for cutting is nice but really that's another whole subject. I just don't think that having that built in to your entry level machine makes a lot of sense.

The time needed to learn the skill required for a beginner welder to do useful work is much higher for tig welding than for mig welding.

Likewise the time needed to learn the skill required for doing useful work for stick is longer than for mig also. A bigger consideration with stick is that you can't do sheet metal work with it.

So the one machine that's the most versatile and quickest to learn is definitely mig.

If you want to learn tig in the future, knowledge of mig will definitely give you a head start. Simpler things first.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm with Evil.... that Miller is the newer version of the one I bought several years ago, great machine hands down. There is a bit of money laid out with any setup, welder, tank, helmet, but you will not be disappointed once you take the plunge. All it takes is some practice, and you will be installing new floor pans in no time.

I would recommend a name brand, even if you don't go with a miller, You will need tips, and other consumables. All the name brands are sold and supported locally from some of the welding supply shops here by me, That was important to me.

Gil

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
For a new person to welding, my vote is for a 115v mig machine also. It turns a pheasant into a pro with just a little time.

Lots of info online about that stuff, with accessory deals and such.

Check the local welding supply store,,see what they support, because you will be going there for quick supplys if needed.

Good luck Travis.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welder choice

Yep, I have to agree with the guys about going to a local welding supply, one that has been there a while and deal with them. You can't go wrong with Miller or Lincoln but I prefer Miller wire machines for you mig application. Been burning wire and rods for 40 years and been dealing with the same shop for 30 of those, I've got both brands in my shop. I think you might want to stay away from the combination type machines, buy a mig welder, a separate plasma cutter, and then a dc power source to stick weld or tig off of. Just my thoughts!!:anim_25:

·
Registered
751 Posts
For a guy just starting out, I recommend going to your local community trade school and take a welding class. You will find out which one you like the most and you'll be way ahead of the game by knowing the basics. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
my suggestion

my best suggestion is buy mig with variable amperage rather than 4 step. You'll find many times where a little more or less amperage will help your weld quality.:D

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
I am a novice welder. 15 yrs ago I bought a Millermatic 130 which came set up with flux core. Friends told me it was "idiot proof" and I was a bad welder. I got rid of the flux core set up and went with gas and what an improvement!! I still don't weld great, but a lot better than I did before gas. It uses 110/115 which makes it very portable. It's a great starter MIG welder.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
425 Posts
I think I've tried twice to weld little projects and did alright I guess. What welder would you suggest for some one with little to no experience? I was thinking of that combo plasma/Tig/Stick.
My experience with a Lincoln 175 mig welder has been outstanding. They have online place to answer questions and as a company, they have been around since 1896. Customer service actually puts you in touch with a live experienced person. Mig welding is a lot easier if you have some classes. Lincoln offers them in Cleveland but a local school is a good choice if you are not in the Cleveland area. I did their classes and found I really didn't know squat, but now I'm pretty proud of my welds. Check out their website and see what they have.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I was in the boat and picked up a welder this week. My good friend is a pretty accomplished welder and he gave me some great advice. I then went to a welding shop to look at welders and the gal selling the welders there said the same thing. Stick to a mig, but also said get one big enough for what you plan to weld. She had me looking at a Millermatic 150 which was a 110/115 machine.

I ended up buying the next size up which was the Millermatic 180/230V so I had enough amperage to weld thicker material, and something with a better duty cycle than the smaller 110V unit. I then picked up a medium tank of Argo Shield gas and set the welder up a couple nights ago. Next I went to a metal shop and got a bunch of practice plates and last night I spent an hour welding lines and blowing through the 24 gauge stuff. Made a few nice passes and already starting to learn where to keep the tip for the best weld, and what speed to move along at.

It's coming along just fine and I'll practice lots over the next few weeks. Take a look at the Millermatic 180. Cost me about 1250.00 with the auto mask, gloves and a large spool of .030 wire. Love it and I'm only using gas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts