Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been searching and haven't found much but I might be looking in the wrong direction

is it possible to convert a regular 2 door sedan into a sports coupe with the open windows?

anybody have a thread or links that would help?

sorry if I'm such a newbie,
luke

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sorry Luke, no. The roof on a sedan is longer and taller. The beltline is completely different, the body structure is different too. Now, if you had expert bodywork/fabricating skills, you might be able to pull it off. But it would be much easier and cheaper in the long run just to find a coupe. Personally, I (and many others here) prefer a 2dr. sedan over a coupe. More room inside, sturdier body, slightly lighter, and waaaaay better looking:D

Welcome to TriFive!

Tim

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
Anything is possible, but there are many reasons not to.

The roof is totally different on a sport coupe. It's about 1-1/2" shorter in height. It's not as long front to back. All the window openings and glass is different (shorter on a sport coupe). The panel between the rear glass and the trunk is longer, and the back seat is moved forward the same amount. The "dip" in the quarter panel at the side window is in a different location. All the trim around the glass is different. I'm sure there's more, but those are the big ones.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Possible? Well yes! Heck, man walked on the moon, but was it practical? Well no.
The expense for out ways the out come. Buy a 2 dr HT and sell the sedan.
JMHO
Jim

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Sorry Luke, no. The roof on a sedan is longer and taller. The beltline is completely different, the body structure is different too. Now, if you had expert bodywork/fabricating skills, you might be able to pull it off. But it would be much easier and cheaper in the long run just to find a coupe. Personally, I (and many others here) prefer a 2dr. sedan over a coupe. More room inside, sturdier body, slightly lighter, and waaaaay better looking:D

Welcome to TriFive!

Tim
..........:anim_32:....what he said up there in the blue box.....:bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Well, better to be asking the question BEFORE starting the work. :)

I've got a 2DHT, so understand the appeal of going 'postless'. But a 2DS is a pretty sweet ride as well. Why not keep the body as is and pimp it out to be a Black Widow?!

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
I see what you mean lukem80, why you would want a hardtop.

There are two kinds out there, those who want a hardtop and those who have a hardtop:happy0001:

Take a peek in the garage.
All 2 & 4 doors wish that they were Sport coupes..

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
I say keep the sedan and forget about the HT. Sedans are COOL!! :cool:
I would say: Forget about the conversion.....There seems to be a 3:1 split WRT those who prefer sedans over sportscoupes....See link:http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34547&highlight=post (Its possible though that the numbers may reflect ownership vs preference)....Find someone that wants to trade.

Of course the problem will be: If someone owns a sportscoupe, they will think its better than a sedan.....Most of the time, the same holds true the other way as well.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016: to bowtie-trifive Luke:shakehands: Glad you found us... Later, Dave

·
Registered
943 Posts

Welcome to TriFive!

Tim
opinions are like button holes everybody has at least one:D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts