Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 1987 Silverado truck was starting to get tired. The rust gremlins had taken their toll and the engine was starting to use oil. I found a real clean 2006 Silverado K2500HD at a local dealer and they made me a good deal so I decided to buy it. It has most of the options and looks, runs and drives great. It is going to make a good truck to use on the farm. Also the best thing is the wife likes it. Here are a couple of pictures.
Tom

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Tom
I really like it. I bought an 05 last year Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.3 in it but its only a 1500. For the most part it does everything we need. We used it to take my 57 to Fuzzy a few mths back and did well, Just very hard on gas. We only get about 10 MPG with a load, That's my biggest gripe. Wish I could find a Quad cab that isn't a 4x4, Seems like there not around

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,002 Posts
Tom
I really like it. I bought an 05 last year Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.3 in it but its only a 1500. For the most part it does everything we need. We used it to take my 57 to Fuzzy a few mths back and did well, Just very hard on gas. We only get about 10 MPG with a load, That's my biggest gripe. Wish I could find a Quad cab that isn't a 4x4, Seems like there not around
You won't get better MPG towing that kinda of load unless you go with a diesel truck.

Tom you might look at getting a tune for it. You can handheld tuner like Hypertech it will make a noticeable difference power wise!

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
Nice looking truck Tom.

Take a close look at the rockers on it. I've been replacing 6-10 sets of rockers on the 2000-06 Chevy ext. cabs these past couple years. Done three sets already this year and have two more scheduled in. By the time you see it on the outside of the rocker. It's too late to save it. They rust from the inside out.

My big Orange truck get's 13 towing a load and 17-18 by itself. It's running a 6.0, heavy duty trans, and 3/4 ton 3:73 gears, and sets on 35" tires.

The 5.3 is a bit underpowered for bigger loads, but fine for bed loads.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You won't get better MPG towing that kinda of load unless you go with a diesel truck.

Not true with "todays" diesel trucks they are choked down with all the EPA crap that has been added. The only way to increase a few mpgs on the diesels is to put exhaust, cold air and a tuner. In the long run the cost of the tuner and power adders just don't justify the fuel savings. I just sold my 08 Powerstroke because it got 6.2 mpg pulling a flatbed with 6 four wheelers and a side by side. Last weekend I towed my '55 about 650 miles and averaged 10.5 with a wore out '99 4x4 Tahoe running 70 mph, on the same trip a friend informed me his new Denali Diesel was only getting 12 mpg towing his '56 Nomad. Averaging 1.5 mpg more than me but vehicle cost and higher maintenance costs on his end. On a positive note, he did have more power on the hills than me.

BTW... Nice looking new Chevrolet you got there!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
i am a 2500 hd guy my self had a 91,97,00 and now have a 08 all gas and they can haul i pull a 10,000 excavator on a 2,500 trailer no sweat for it. you will be happy i have been with all my trucks for years they never let me down

·
Registered
67,715 Posts
congrats tom. :tu

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking truck Tom.

Take a close look at the rockers on it. I've been replacing 6-10 sets of rockers on the 2000-06 Chevy ext. cabs these past couple years. Done three sets already this year and have two more scheduled in. By the time you see it on the outside of the rocker. It's too late to save it. They rust from the inside out.

My big Orange truck get's 13 towing a load and 17-18 by itself. It's running a 6.0, heavy duty trans, and 3/4 ton 3:73 gears, and sets on 35" tires.

The 5.3 is a bit underpowered for bigger loads, but fine for bed loads.
I looked at quite a few trucks that had bad rockers. This one is clean in that area, one of the few that I found. So far I like it. Yesterday I hooked on to two 1,000 gal tanks of 28% nitrogen to be used to top dress corn and it handled them very well. I am looking for stainless nerf bars/steps for it and trying to decide if I want to put a top on the bed or just go with a cross bed tool box. Also thanks guys for all of the positive comments.
Tom

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Very clean looking truck Tom, my daily driver is 2500HD dual cap Duramax.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Was your 87 a 4x4, both mine are and I would love to replace them with a never model, but I cant get past the wimpy FEA that reminds me of an old Mopar.I guess tha t Super Duty is an option.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was your 87 a 4x4, both mine are and I would love to replace them with a never model, but I cant get past the wimpy FEA that reminds me of an old Mopar.I guess tha t Super Duty is an option.
My 87 was a 4X4. Started life as a 1/2 ton 4X4. I bought it used and drove it for about six years. I then decided to rebuild it so I bought a parts truck 3/4 ton 4X4 with hd suspension and 4:11 gears and used the suspension and axles under my 1/2 ton. The frames are the same on the 78-87 1/2 and 3/4 tn trucks. Only reason I decided to get a newer truck is rust has taken the toll on the 87. To repair it again will require a different cab, doors, bed and tailgate. Just not worth the work. Besides the 2006 sure rides better.
Tom

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I've got an '01 Tahoe with a 5.3. It has the tow package, a K&N intake and a Magnaflow cat back exhaust, and 192,000 miles on it. I still use it towing my car trailer over to Pomona (500 miles each way), and get 15 mpg towing a full sized car on the trailer. Don't know if the newer ones can do that or not, but I'll keep this on as long as it keeps goin'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts