Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this fix with anyone who may be interested. I filled up my 57 Chevy for the first time Saturday morning and noticed gasoline dripping at an alarming rate from under the car. Checking the problem out I saw it was coming from the area where the filler pipe connects to the gas tank. I pulled it around the corner of the gas station and crawled under there for a better look. The rubber seal that was there was just hanging partially loose, broken. I called around to parts stores but no luck. I didn't relish the thought of draining some of the gasoline from the gas tank since I was away from home, in dress clothes, and it could be a bit messy. Then I happened to think, Vacuum cleaner belts were very similar to the rubber seal I had in my hand. I went by a vacuum cleaner repair shop and the guy matched the rubber seal in my hand to a hard rubber vacuum belt he had on the wall and they were almost identicle. He didn't even charge me for the belt. Ten minutes later I had the problem repaired and it has worked fine. Just thought I'd share.

Steve

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
So I guess you can take the tube off without spilling gas? Or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I was just wondering about that "getting dirty" part, too -- all dressed up, laying under the car, puttin' on a vacuum belt and curing a gas leak -- maybe we just "assumed" he's talking about the "car" having a gas leak :eek:

·
Registered
956 Posts
He had to get to the vacuum cleaner store and buy the belt.
By then all the gas that was going to come out would have. So maybe he drove home and changed clothes and then fixed the tank.

But, he should post the vacuum cleaner model and part number so we all know which one to order if necessary.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's exactly what I did. There was a slight incline on the side of the gas station. I parked it and called a friend who lived nearby because I didn't really want to drive the car with it leaking gasoline. He drove me over to the vacuum store and back to the car. I did get a bit of gasoline running down my arm as I worked but all in all stayed relatively clean. Sorry about no model number. The guy at the vacuum store had a bunch on the wall on pegs and just matched up the seal to one hanging up there. No box or numbers on it. Just thought by posting the idea it may help on an idea for a fix for someone else.

Steve

·
Administrator
49,664 Posts
You should be able to measure the diameter of the fill tube and find on that way. What i`m wondering is if the belt will withstand the gas for very long without splitting all to pieces. I think i`d go ahead and buy the o-ring for the gas tube and have it on hand for future need.
Terry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course that's the best fix. I just went with the McGyver fix for the time being, but I am curious to see how it holds up over time as well.

Steve

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I love the ingenuity of that fix. Will be interesting to find out how long it holds up.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I've got my wife fooled like that too! She thinks I can fix, replace, repair, rebuild, etc. just about anything -- in a way she's right because I learned from my dad that "if it's broken, you can't break it!" :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts