Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to give myself an early christmas present this year so I got some more new equipment for my shop. My son and I use my 12" disc sander a lot when we fab brackets and stuff for our conversions, and the 1 HP version I have from HF has served me well for several years. But I decided to upgrade and get a 1.5 HP JET 12" disc/belt sander too. This way we can both sand at the same time. ;)

Also, I have a Ridgid 14" abrasive cutoff saw that I bought several years ago that I use a lot. Yesterday I needed to cut eight 2" long pieces of 2x4x.188 tubing and it took me 1/2 hour to do it and it made a huge mess. Plus the blade sometimes wants to "walk" and doesn't make perfectly square cuts. So I thought I needed a better way to cut material and I bought a JET horizontal bandsaw with a coolant system. This should help keep the dirt down in my shop since the air fills with particles when we use the chop saw. It should be healthier too. :happy0030:

JET is having a 4-day early Thanksgiving sale and I saved quite a bit on these machines. I got the sander for $999 and the bandsaw for $1049...shipping was only $6.99 for both. :)

It was kind of a compulsive purchase, but I'm glad I went ahead and did it. Too often I put things off too long. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts
Nice stuff Laszio :D:tu

68,758 Posts
good looking stuff and i'm sure they will get lots of use. :five: .................i would have told the wife i got them for the son. :winking0070:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Nice stuff!

No substitution for good tools--and those are good tools. Have fun with 'em.:) JIM.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You're gonna need a bigger garage!!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Nice toys! It's funny as I was just thinking this morning that I need to borrow a band saw to cut some frame stock. hehe :)

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I have some miniature versions of the items you bought, and I don't know what I'd do without them.

I can certainly see where stepping up would be something I'd need to do if I did more fabrication, especially on those big tubes.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Laszio,
Good for you the right tools make the job go better. You do such a great job on your frames and these will help. later Kevin

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
10,414 Posts
Cool! Let us know how straight the bandsaw cuts. The one I have here at work cuts all twisted, kind of hard to make stuff at right angles when it cuts at about a 5-10° angle in X and Z axis.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I'm able to adjust my light duty el cheapo saw to cut square within .010" or so, surely you can do that with the one Cnut has. I do check it when I need to something more precise than normal.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
^^^^
Same problem I had w/ mine. Gave it away after a yrs worth of trying to get it to cut strait..I use a wet saw now...

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
I have found Jet products to be one of the better product lines from across the pond. You will enjoy that saw. The sander is nice too. I have my eye on a 20". Just having a hard time turning loose of cash just yet.

Chop Saw - I use a carbide tooth blade unit, talk about cut.
Hitachi CD14F Chop Saw

Merry Christmas!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts