Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 57 150 steering wheel from a fellow tri5er and I want to graft a 66 corvair (16 inch) outer steering wheel to the 150 center and spokes. can anyone give any advice? I'm assuming there is a steel core to weld the 2 pieces together? I haven't attempted this before and thought I should seek advice before damage a nice 150 wheel.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts
My advice and this is just an opinion (take it or leave it) is not to mess with an original 150 wheel.....Start with something less rare.

However, understand it is yours to do what you want with.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,463 Posts
I just bought a 57 150 steering wheel from a fellow tri5er and I want to graft a 66 corvair (16 inch) outer steering wheel to the 150 center and spokes. can anyone give any advice? I'm assuming there is a steel core to weld the 2 pieces together? I haven't attempted this before and thought I should seek advice before damage a nice 150 wheel.
I've done quite a few of these. It's a nice wheel when done. Because it just feels right in your hands, unlike the smaller aftermarket wheels that the outter ring is too fat, and of poor quality.

First, is to remove all the unused parts. Then make sure you get the parts you want to join mated up properly. Measure, measure and cut long. You can always trim more. It is critical to get it centered or it will not work well when installed. Ever have a bent steering wheel. Doesn't work well.

Second, if you are not a good welder, then you better have one located. Because you cannot miss on this part.

Last. is the repair work needed after the 2 parts are welded and joined. If you have never done this, then maybe it is not a good time to start.

Here are some photos of the wheel I'm using on my 55 Glass Sedan Delivery project.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've done quite a few of these. It's a nice wheel when done. Because it just feels right in your hands, unlike the smaller aftermarket wheels that the outter ring is too fat, and of poor quality.

First, is to remove all the unused parts. Then make sure you get the parts you want to join mated up properly. Measure, measure and cut long. You can always trim more. It is critical to get it centered or it will not work well when installed. Ever have a bent steering wheel. Doesn't work well.

Second, if you are not a good welder, then you better have one located. Because you cannot miss on this part.

Last. is the repair work needed after the 2 parts are welded and joined. If you have never done this, then maybe it is not a good time to start.

Here are some photos of the wheel I'm using on my 55 Glass Sedan Delivery project.

great pics. I have repaired a few with very good results. I've used J.B. weld to repair the cracks and haven't had any come back yet. I will get a proffesional to weld it. The wheel I'm using has the 4 chrome rings like yours. What did you do to remove them? The reason I ask is that I haven't recieved the wheel yet and don't know how they are attached. I'm using a corvair 2 spoke wheel that is 16 inch diameter and I understand the chevelle and impala are 16 1/2 but look the same.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My advice and this is just an opinion (take it or leave it) is not to mess with an original 150 wheel.....Start with something less rare.

However, understand it is yours to do what you want with.
I appreciate the advice but I'm commited to trying this. I saw it done on a 57 in memphis at a car show and it really looked nice.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,463 Posts
Those paint dividers will just pop off, I then just sand down the area and fill it in like a repair. On my Sedan Delivery, I am going with a white roof, I left the 2 top paint dividers, so I can paint that space white. It is real hard to two tone a 3 spoke wheel:sign0020:

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Registered
38,748 Posts
If you do this, and it's not that hard if you are handy, you may want to build some kind of fixture to make sure the hub is centered with the rim, and that the hub bore is square to the rim. The fixture doesn't need to be elaborate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.