Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I recently did a front suspension rebuild and now the steering wheel is off center a bit. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the steering wheel off. The little allen screws seem real tight and I don't want to screw things up. I've done others with no problems, but I'm stumped on this one. Any help with how to would be greatly appreciated. It's a "Grant" wheel.

Joe,

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Can't you just remove the horn button?.......either twist out or take a small flat blade screwdriver
to pry out?

As far as the allen screws go.......just make sure you have the correct size bit and apply pressure
to break lose.

Then this would allow you access to the nut that is removed
to pull wheel.......un hook battery so the horn doesn't go off on you.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Yep, this will do it, I just removed my grant steering wheel awhile back. The cap screws are in the adapter that's on the column. After you remove the horn button you will have access to the large nut.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
Make sure you have a good allen wrench the correct size and loosen each screw a little at a time in a criss-cross pattern. They will get easier as all are loose. When reinstalling, start all screws before tighting.:anim_25:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the response. I finally got the horn ring to break loose....believe it or not someone had actually glued the horn ring down, same with the little allen head screws. Go figure......Why would anyone do that???? No damage, just frustration. The PO or someone must have been a real peice of work.

Joe,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts