Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a griffin cross flow radiator installed last year in my 57 Chev Nomad and now have about 5000 miles on it. Recently had a problem and found out that it has developed a crack and I am in the process of replacing it. It's outside the warranty period. What would be the most likely causes short of an actual defect in the radiator? It is aluminum and has electric fans installed.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,692 Posts

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
There was talk here on site that the aluminium rads needed to be mounted with rubber bushings so stress fractures would not appear.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Isn't Griffin the one that uses epoxy to put the core to the tanks?
that is incorrect. they furnace braze all the components in the core then weld it to the tanks . after that they pour an epoxy in the core frame as extra insurance.
as far as rubber mounting, that is hogwash. I have 3 cars with griffins in them all mounted as stock bolted directly to the rad support.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
I would still contact them and explain the problem. I know another guy on bowtie-trifive that had an issue many years after the warranty period, they replaced his with no issues:tu

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talked to Griffin and since it is outside their warranty they won't replace it. So I am waiting for a new one.

What is the likelihood that the radiator cap is faulty and pressure caused the problem?

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Talked to Griffin and since it is outside their warranty they won't replace it. So I am waiting for a new one.

What is the likelihood that the radiator cap is faulty and pressure caused the problem?
not likely. If you are making enough pressure in the coolant system to cause a failure you have other major problems. these aluminum aftermarket radiators can be run with a 20# cap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts