Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Griffin radiator, condenser and fan LS3 combo 6 years and 20000 miles ago. Worked great , looks good and even drove this car across this great country via route 66 . Cruised the Las Vegas strip ,at 120 degrees with a/c on , not a problem. But now its leaking at the core , in more than one place . I know the warranty is only 2 years , but this radiator cost $ 950.00 . I talked to them , said how disappointed i was thought maybe they would help out on a new one , because they say it can not be fixed all you can do is buy another one at $950.00. I can not really use a different one , because when i restored my car , i designed it around this combo, and I do not want to send $3000.00 on a new set up. Has any body had trouble like this with a Griffin radiator or is it just me?
I am driving a 1995 GMC , it has the OE radiator in it and works great no leaking after 27 years.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,150 Posts
"buy a new one from summit then put this one back in the box and return as defective in a month or so." Thats what the summit sales rep told me to do when I had a griffin radiator fail 2 weeks after the warranty was up and griffin refused to help out. the summit guy even gave me a better price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boy we have almost the same story with our 55 and our Griffin radiator we have an LS 3 in our car ,and this is the third Griffin we have had in our car they will work fine for a few months and then start leaking ,they’ve warranty it two times and they said they won’t do it anymore ,we are going to pull it out this winter and take it to a radiator shop and see if they can do anything with it ,very disappointing especially for how expensive they are we thought that was a good quality radiator boy were we wrong

·
Registered
1955 chevy conv
18 Posts
Boy we have almost the same story with our 55 and our Griffin radiator we have an LS 3 in our car ,and this is the third Griffin we have had in our car they will work fine for a few months and then start leaking ,they’ve warranty it two times and they said they won’t do it anymore ,we are going to pull it out this winter and take it to a radiator shop and see if they can do anything with it ,very disappointing especially for how expensive they are we thought that was a good quality radiator boy were we wrong
I thought that they be out of business by now because of their attitdue. I had the same problem in. 2000 when i built a 56 sedan with tune port leas than a year it was gone no warranty they said and by that time i had already bought another one for my 57 convertible
same problem 2 years in. I use Mattson now and have since. Great people never an issue i now own five cars one of which is a 68 corvette same thing with it. Sorry your having an issue John

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I just went thru a "disagreement" with them on my new Griffin being "bent".
I welded a pair of brkts on it for the condenser mt. The witch @ Griffin interrupted me mid-sentence, to deny any responsibility. The conversation didn't end with "Thanks for your help"!:mad:
I blocked it up on the floor and stood on it. Back straight. If it leaks, it'll go in the trash, and there won't be another of their pieces of junk......Ever.
As for the "no repair" deal... The older units had epoxy poured on the tanks to core solder joints, to stop leaks... No repair with that nonsense.

Reactions: TheHotrodHandyman

·
Registered
344 Posts
I bought a Griffin radiator, condenser and fan LS3 combo 6 years and 20000 miles ago. Worked great , looks good and even drove this car across this great country via route 66 . Cruised the Las Vegas strip ,at 120 degrees with a/c on , not a problem. But now its leaking at the core , in more than one place . I know the warranty is only 2 years , but this radiator cost $ 950.00 . I talked to them , said how disappointed i was thought maybe they would help out on a new one , because they say it can not be fixed all you can do is buy another one at $950.00. I can not really use a different one , because when i restored my car , i designed it around this combo, and I do not want to send $3000.00 on a new set up. Has any body had trouble like this with a Griffin radiator or is it just me?
I am driving a 1995 GMC , it has the OE radiator in it and works great no leaking after 27 years.
Yep, same here, bought the fancy crossflow w/fans, polished, A/C condenser etc in 9/2014 . Installed over the winter and it started leaking 2020. No help from Griffin . I put about 1,000 miles a year on my car so I would give them a very poor rating.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,150 Posts
I think the last few years with companies that had reputable parts were forced through the covid scheme to try to keep up production ended up with less than talented employees and rushed to try to keep cash flowing ending up with inferior workers and end products.
my issues with griffin were pre covid

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was wondering, if there was a radiator that fit the same, I do not want to change a/c and fans, I have not found any yet. I do not know if I want to try a nother Griffen . I have been driving short distances but I can not take a trip in it. We like traveling in it.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I had the same problem! I'm on my 3rd Griffin. I bought the first about 8 years ago and I went over a bump when they were repairing the road and it started leaking at the core. I called Griffin in SC and talked to the VP and he told me I needed to install rubber shims on the sides and bottom for dampening. I told him it there was absolutely no room at all in a 57 on the sides as it was metal to metal and the bottom has about a 3" clearance which is the way it was made to fit in a 57. I paid over $1,300 to have it buffed including the shroud. I built my engine compartment out like you revolving around the Griffin so can't use anything else. Well the radiator was outside the warranty but he told me don't take it to a radiator repair shop - send it to them as they have a two million dollar oven to bake them and do it right. I sent it to them and it was heavily damaged at the Fed-ex center so the VP ended up replacing it for free. It lasted three years before developing a leak. Since then, I moved from Virginia to Pa and met a guy that owns a radiator shop. I took it to him and he told me that the Griffin radiator used inferior grade aluminum and the core was glued and not reliable. He said Be Cool radiators use aircraft grade aluminum for the tubes and they hold up. Well, I had no choice but to get a third Griffin as my set-up like yours is built around the polished Griffin. So far, four years and still okay but I am on pins & needles every time I hit a bump. I did ground it to my chassis in hopes of helping corrosion. Yes, they can't fix it nor anyone else as they know they aren't made right. I told the VP if he wanted to use a rubble baffle on the sides then he should decrease the width by a 1/2" to 3/4" or so and that way insulation can be put in. If it breaks again, I am not sure what I'll do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts