Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,713 Posts
Before I bought another I would at least have to find an "expert" in TIG welding and attempt a fix. One poster on Pirate 4x4 stated he used JB waterweld mixed with shredded fiberglass fibers and has held for over 2 yrs on his off road truck.

· Registered
73 Posts
I also had my Griffin cross flow fail. It stated leaking just it of warranty. They would not replace it but did give me a discount on a replacement. Like someone else posted, I was told it needed some kind of rubber shims to isolate it from the core support. The core support flexes when driving and the radiator is not built to flex so it eventually fails. I was able to find rubber grommets which fit the holes in the core support. I did have to enlarge the holes a bit And I did not over tighten the radiator bolts. Now it kind of floats in the mount so I’m hoping this one doesn’t fail.

· Registered
6,518 Posts
So, the original copper/brass are designed to flex? I find that odd. As soft as aluminum brackets are, they should flex at more than the steel attached originals. I have an aluminum Engineered Cooling Products radiator with no issues and it's ten years old. But, it's USA made and well TIG welded.

· Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, I bought a new griffin radiator, to replace my old one. I got it though Jegs because ,it was a little cheaper than going though griffin. I also did some thing I never do , Jegs has a extended warranty, so i bought it , which adds 3 more years of warranty to their warranty . I questioned them about what it would cover they said , any leaks and they would pay for it, even had their manager on the phone , they were real nice about it. Makes 5 years of warranty , we will see.
I also though about mounting it some how in rubber like Drumbum675 did any ideas or pictures would be great .

· Registered
84 Posts
I use Champion radiators. lifetime warranty, all for a little over 200 bucks, the one in my Chevelle is 10 years old or so, and never a problem.
My uncle is looking to get a Champion radiator as recommended by a mechanic. Great to hear it is also recommended here. We'll work on his '56 after we cleared the garage next week. Got to finish installing the bumper, nerf bars, and winch onto the Wrangler before we can take her in.

· Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,403 Posts
champion has a great warranty. but it does not cover labor. I have a customer who insisted on a champion and has paid me to install it 4 times as it has had to be replaced 4 times due to core failures. just not a good product. typical overseas crap.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts