Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Administrator
48,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hate to sound like a whiner....However, I have a few complaints...I doubt they will be listened to or anything done about them...But, I like to express them and open the floor to discussion anyway.

#1...The HEAT! Subjecting senior citizens to that mid August heat with zero breeze in that hell hole that they call Beech Bend Park is pure misery....And next year they plan on increasing it to three days down there with not even a break at the Slon Center for music, relaxation and dance....The event needs to be moved to the spring or fall...I guess like anything else, when a few people pass out and die, it will be addressed.

#2...Golf carts AGAIN! Running around there with total disregard for the rules of the road or common sense....The golf carts, according to their own FAQ's:

Are golf carts allowed?
We ask that golf carts are reserved to those with a handicap placard and/or a drag racing pass. You must be 21 years or older to operate a golf cart.

#3...Vendor Map....In the past the map had a numerical index with the location of the food, new/used parts, apparel vendors, restrooms, etc,...I must have walked around down there for an hour, trying to find the Woody's booth, so I could make arrangements to pick-up my hood

Okay....Rant over!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Pops, as one of the guilty golf cart operators,I confess to helping folks find various booths of vendors by going to the TriFive tent in the oval and referring them to the nice lady with the swapmeet vendor chart. Kinda one of the lesser known places to find out who is where.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
It's pretty much the same at most big shows.
Some things we do is go in our little motor home.
Try to park as close to the event grounds as possible.(This is my biggest gripe-having to walk a long ways there and back from parking,while vendors can drive around the show/vendor booths!).
Golf Carts should be banned,period!Except for actual handicapped people.
A small 2500 watt generator will run fans for the heat or even a small a/c unit if your sitting in a booth.
I like to go to the Moultrie ,Ga.show/swap meet every fall.It's a little cooler and motorized transport(except wheelchairs) is not allowed in the swap meet area except event personnel,who will haul large parts for you too!
I stopped going to several because I felt that the event was more for business comfort and sales than the people who spend money.
Mike.:):bowtieb:

·
Registered
306 Posts
GRIPE

Yeah tennessee schools are already started so my son the teacher an his son have to miss an use personal days, but it would be nice if it was during fall break or late MAY but I know it's hard to plan a time and suit everybody. We still had a great time an thanks for the show being in this area.

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
Pops, I agree with you on the heat. I also planned to attend next year until I heard it was going to be 3 days at the track. I may change my mind because of the horrible traffic in, and out, of the track. After all these years, looks like it would be more than one 2 lane road access.
If it was a golf, basketball, or football venue, the city or county would use tax money to build 4 lanes in and out of the place.:) I know they sighed a 10 yr. contract with the track, but I think they should move the show somewhere else, but I realize I don't count.

PS, I noticed a lot of open grass areas in some of the pictures. I think attendance is already down.

My 2cents.

·
Premium Member
14,863 Posts
I'm willing to bet the rules set for the carts were not enforced one bit. The carts need to be limited to handicap placard (in hand)/drag race pass and 21 years of age to have a cart on the grounds whether it is your personal cart or a rental, NO EXCEPTIONS.

If spectators need a ride the event should think about renting a couple shuttle carts that carry 6 or 8 passengers and run them on a schedule to help move people around.

Yeah the heat there just plain sucks.

·
Registered
35,329 Posts
The 10 year contract may include the date, and the park may not have other good dates available anyway due to other events there.

I first went to Beech Bend in 1971 (?) for an NSRA event, and 3 other times to participate in races. The road in and out is apparently the same as 1971, 48 years ago!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Speaking for myself, golf carts were definitely a nuisance (elderly operators were generally more respective than the younger ones), but for me the venue ,Beach Bend , IS the Nationals. For a couple of days I will tolerate the heat and traffic to see the cars and people we've met. Hopefully see ya all next Aug !! gene:blowtiedb:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My only gripe from the event was , being to busy to attend ...... hopefully some strategic planning my family and I will make the trip next year! bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have only been to one due to life getting in the way but I will be at next years. The road was lousy especially the night I remember the amusement park letting out at same time. But when I was growing up in 80 and 90s going to CCI events I remember hanging out in hotel parking lot for days. Granted there was air cond to take a break but I enjoyed the track as it offered variety of activities at one location as opposed to having to drive to each one individually. Like look at cars. Watch some races go do some parts shopping back to cars back to races. What ever interest is. I thought there was ample shade and being from north I love the heat seeing it’s cold 7-8 months out of year in our area. There probably is no perfect location as everyone has different preferences hence different shows at different times of years. The traffic and road may take some strategy to avoid peak usage times. When I did go ,the last night instead of sitting in traffic I grabbed a chair and watched the parade of people leaving being able see cars I missed and I didn’t have to walk to see them. As I wasn’t leaving till the following morning so I had all night to sit there. I guess I can do the same when they come in too. What says you

·
Registered
505 Posts
we already registered for next year, the heat is hard on me as well but i make sure i drink allot and we sit and watch the races quite a bit.
I too wish something could be done about the golf carts, unfortunately i think it will take someone getting hurt by one before anything is done. my wife almost got hit by some nitwit driving one while he was looking down at his phone, Damn good thing he didnt hit her and i wasnt there.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,320 Posts
I would have to agree on the Golf carts usage or abuse. There were far too many fully capable people riding around harry carry in them.

I for one opted to walk the grounds even though my back issues would have qualified me to use a cart. I was able to walk about a 1/2 mile before needing to sit down and rest or find a wall to lean against and stretch out my back to relieve some of the pain and continue on again. I even had my back belt on to help out, but it didn't seem to help much.

As for the heat??? I thought it was bearable this year (then again I love the heat) my wife on the other hand thought it was too hot and humid and needed one of the hand held fans from Woody's to keep her cool while walking around or just sitting for the races.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Looking at a satellite view of the park, It seems a considerate owner of the venue could negotiate another access or exit road to rt 185 possibly. But after all these years I doubt that will happen. I tried sitting in a chair and waiting for traffic to clear but knowing my air conditioned room and shower was only 15min. from 31w. kills me.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree on the heat gripe.....I specifically wore a white shirt that had a cooling material and spf rating .......I thought it was defective .....lol.....as I was losing water like never before on Friday. I even saw some guy with the same shirt and asked if his shirt was working ...we laughed as we both were hot. With all the heat Friday we decided to get to the track later on Saturday and took a lil trip to Mammoth Cave .....awesome ....the cave entrance was spilling out 54 degree air like a wind tunnel. Down under it was the same...a cool 54 degrees. The hike was not to bad since it was cool. We still had time to get to the event and go over some missed cars and vending. After the giveaway, which I had lil expectations of winning .......my biggest win in life was the sperm race .....came in first place ...imagine that ....and am grateful for that win.....anyway we bolted for the movies and caught "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" , great movie imo. Hit the 24 hour steak and shake afterwards. I too said the event would be better if in the fall but I imagine the rules are set. As far as leaving with the one way roads.....if people would just be patient and work the zipper effect it could go smoother ....no there has to be the people who butt up ...one guy almost hit me trying to cheat the line. All in all it was a gallant enterprise that must take a ton of work to pull off. Hoping to return next year with an air conditioned suit..lol.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Perhaps it should be like the Olympics only have it every 2 years. I know the Olympics are every four years but summer and winter is different. Isn't it?
Anyway how about have it every other year?
Todd

·
Premium Member
10,225 Posts
It was hot this year, no doubt about it. Hotter then other years, at least I think so. But truth be told, it was better then rain, which is what we had last year. It’s a 15 hour drive for me so I am ok with the heat as opposed to making the trip and a rain out.

Golf carts were an outrage this year. I had someone jokingly ask me whether they were at the trifive nationals or the golf cart nationals. One guy had a giant 6 person bus cart. I completely get that some people really do need one to get around, but a majority of the people I saw with golf carts clearly did not need them. Really impedes getting around in your trifive.

All in all, I like the show a lot so I will keep attending.

·
Administrator
48,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
And to think that they gave one of our members crap over not having a handicap or pit pass for his wife's golf cart: https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209048
What I find oxymoronic was they had a contract with a provider leasing the golf carts on a daily basis.

I tried to rent one due mostly to my foot issue but that was a bust. According to my iPhone I walked near 20 miles for the 4 days.

I find it nearly impossible to hold an event of this magnitude and satisfy every person's needs and wants. I'm just very thankful I was able to attend, meet great people, see great cars and watch a few drags. What more could one ask for.

·
Administrator
48,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm just very thankful I was able to attend, meet great people, see great cars and watch a few drags. What more could one ask for.
I wish I could have sat down and chatted with you a bit more Nick.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts