Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a discussion with some friends and I regarding the necessity in grounding aluminum heads with iron blocks. There is some troubleshooting articles a recommendation to ground the heads to the frame.
I see no reason to, as the head bolts are grounded by the engine ground to chassis. I have been told not so by some guys. I now come to the experts out there to definitely end this discussion, is there a consensus?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
with all the dissimialar metals today i use an anode in the cooling system , i dont see how grounding the heads would help as long as you have some good grounds (mtr, trans) already
fiddy

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
FIDDYSIX,,I HAVE ANPRC ALUM. RADIATOR & . EDELBROCK HEADS I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE REACTION,,WHAT KIND &AND WHERE DID YOU GET THE ANODE & WHERE DOES IT TIE INTO THE SYSTEM,,ALSO JUST GOT A RETROSOUND RADIO. WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT,,THANKS DICK:wavey:

·
Registered
11,220 Posts

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
If you put an anode in the radiator, it's not going to do much to protect the heads. Might be better to put an anode in the block drain, at least it's closer.

The head bolts are an excellent ground connection, even with sealer on them.

Anodes need to make electrical connection too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
THANKS NICK,IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE ALUM. HEADS WITH ELECTROLISIS WHY WOULDN,T EDELBROCK HAVE SOMETHING IN THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT IT??:confused0006:

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
That's because it's not a big problem.

The only problem I've had over many years is losing the water seal between an aluminum intake and cast iron heads on a factory engine. Happened at about 150000 miles. Not sure it was galvanic, it was probably a gasket failure.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,497 Posts
using distilled water helps eliminate corosion as well no minerals no corosion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts