Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three years, I finally installed my Guide Spotlight. Little did I know that Guide was harder to find parts for. I had to make my own rubber gasket. I bought a used gasket and it was hard as a rock and broke in half when I was test placing it. I superglued it back together and it served as a decent template. Use the gasket and the outside bracket as a template for locating the thru hole and the screw holes. I used a pointed wooden dowel wrapped in tape to center in the bracket and with a drop of paint on the point, marked the start of the thru hole in the outside trim. Ued the inside bracket to find the hole coming into the car. Kept increasing the size of the drill and verifying it was in line with the inside hole. I used a long drill bit almost the final size, again wrapped in tape to keep from scratching the inside of the bracket.

Does anyone know if the 55-59 Truck spotlight arms are the same length as the car? The car arms are very short. I have 2 truck spotlights, (I don't need) and the arms are different lengths. Not sure if the passenger side doesn't have to be short as there is not steering wheel in the way. It the truck steering wheel have more space than the car? When I post these up for sale, I want as much info for the buyer as possible.

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust

·
Premium Member
Santa Barbara,CA ‘56 SOLD 6/11/22
585 Posts
Interesting to me as I have just posted one that I think is correct for a ‘56. MFR is Unity, out of Chicago, I don’t recall seeing Guide on it. The spotlight and mirror have the same shape. I am noticing small differences in the shape of the arm end under the spotlight. I will have to go verify the P/N…….
Does yours actually say Guide on it? I wonder if GM had different outside suppliers for the same part. Not unreasonable to think possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Question, Guide and Unity were the suppliers. Unity H1 CH and Guide S2 55. I am not sure what that designates, only the head? There are different brackets for each manufacturer depending on whether its a convertible, truck, etc. I found that the Guide is more rare. When looking at parts for sale, most are Unity but I didn't know that when I bought the first Head by itself. That's OK, when your car is essentially done, you need something to look for. In the car, the steering wheel is close to the pillar where the spotlight arm comes thru. That's why the arm is short. Its only 1-2 inches away from the turn signal lever. The generic unity arm is about 16 inches long. You can find Unity spotlights with that arm $100. The Tri 5 is about 13 inches, harder to find. I am not a fanatic about absolute 100% stock. But the longer arm won't work. It may work on the passenger side or a truck. That's what I want to find out. I bought a set of driver and passenger complete with brackets 1 arm was 13" 1 was 16". Correct or was someone just getting a set together?

Interesting to me as I have just posted one that I think is correct for a ‘56. MFR is Unity, out of Chicago, I don’t recall seeing Guide on it. The spotlight and mirror have the same shape. I am noticing small differences in the shape of the arm end under the spotlight. I will have to go verify the P/N…….
Does yours actually say Guide on it? I wonder if GM had different outside suppliers for the same part. Not unreasonable to think possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts