Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my cub scout meeting tonight my son and I had our first Scuba Diving class. We had been doing the book work the past two weeks.

Our instructor is a scout volunteer who also happens to be a certified P.A.D.I. Scuba Instructor. SO when we're done we'll be certified Divers.

Right out of the gate we went over the safety of swimming and then had to swim 300 yards in the pool.

The plus side was we were able to use a snorkel and fins. The catch was it was twelve laps of the pool with our head down in the water, breathing through the small tube. If you put your head up for any reason you had to start over.

So off and swimming we went. Arms down by our side and fins kicking away as we breathed slow and deep as they had taught us in preparation for using the scuba tanks later in the course.

It's amazing how much water you can cover in a short time using the fins.

Next up was to go over the safety part of getting ready to scuba dive. Learning the scuba gear and how to assemble it. Sure you see it in a video and it's all pretty easy. In person hands on gets a little more complicated at first. I'm sure it'll become second nature as we get used to it.

We each had to fit our BCD to the tank and attach our regulators properly then test them.

That was all the time we had for tonight so next week we will continue the training.

When I asked the boy how he liked it so far? He had a mile long grin and said " it's kinda fun dad".

I think he 's anxious to get the gear on and get in the water next time to practice breathing procedures, rescue methods, and hand signals.

I would eventually like to get to the Rescue Dive certification level. I hear the training is a lot more intense at the level with everything you need to know and do without having to think about it.

My boy said he just wants to be a recreation and adventure diver. Which is fine, as long as he is having fun with it.

Any other folks Scuba Divers?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm gonna do the same thing one of these days. My wife and I love to go to Cozumel or anywhere hot and we snorkel for 3 hours at a time. The fins are magic - turns a schlup like me into a long range swimmer.

·
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna do the same thing one of these days. My wife and I love to go to Cozumel or anywhere hot and we snorkel for 3 hours at a time. The fins are magic - turns a schlup like me into a long range swimmer.
Aint that the truth.:sign0020:

Your not alone with that statement. that would go for any of us.:tu

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Its a whole new world under there, a buddy of mine is an active scuba diver, loves old wrecks, just looking around, was telling me that you need to make sure you know where the drop line is so you can make it back home safely.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Both my wife and I have been certified divers since about 1978.

I'm a NAUI, she's a PADI. :D

Chuck

·
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both my wife and I have been certified divers since about 1978.

I'm a NAUI, she's a PADI. :D

Chuck
Good to see there are other tri five divers.

My son and I were lucky enough to find a Scuba Venture crew through Scouting. Once we have our certification we will be diving with them during the summers. They have a series of invasive plant removal dives planned with the DNR and also a few fun dives in old flooded rock quarries that still have equipment in them.

My son is looking forward to this as he may be the first in his troop to achieve the Scuba certification and merit badge.

Since I love photography so much (as if you couldn't tell from all the photos I post in the build threads) I plan to look into underwater digital photography too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts