Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2007 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this basket case 55 hard top from our classifieds here. We just unloaded it and he left for a 22 hour round trip delivery. The body on this car is 99% rust free. I did find a bad quarter panel repair on the drivers side and we got the price down for me to get a new quarter. Just about every part is nice. Got a few new parts and some extras I'll be selling. The car was coral and gray two tone originally and the dash is gray. I think I remember our member Geoffs 55 vert had a gray dash and he thought it was odd. Now there's another positive. There are a few small parts missing but overall satisfied. I dug everything out for inspection and inventory. The expiration date on the baby food jars are 1987. After opening them, the contents are not in order. Just misc screws, nuts, and bolts thrown in. No big deal for me. I know 55s through and through. I'm building this car for me and RIGHT. I will own this 55 till I'm dead. SPECIAL circumstances allowed me to be able to get this car so now it's very sentimental to me and my wife. All my other projects will cease till this one is done. All my best parts from the other cars will go on it. This is my dream car and only owned one other hard top 55 but had to sell it for rough times. Anyways, here's the pics and I won't be needing any instruction manual :sign0020:

THREAD UPDATE= SIX YEARS INTO BUILD AS OF 2019 = All the photo links are blurry because they want me to renew the subscription. The photo site had too many pop up ads even after subscription was bought. It locked up my computer almost every time. I will not renew the subscription. Lots of detail stuff that will be lost. I started a youtube channel and never looked back at posting pictures. ten times easier doing videos. So here is a link to this build thread that will jump you to the first videos. My videos are not great quality and I don't care. I'd start here https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100302&page=160

·
Registered
582 Posts
Haford,
Looks like a real good starting point. Good luck with the build and look forward to seeing it turn in to your dream.
Brian

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::anim_25:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My coral and gray 55 has a gray dash, the vin # is very late, last half of last month, all the coral dash ones seem to be early 55's.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Congrats on finding a nice clean rust free body. Are you gonna stick with the straight axle/gasser or,,???
I got two Hardtops, both coral and shadow grey, one had a grey dash and the other had a coral dash,,,??? The 6 cylinder car has the coral dash and the V8 car had the grey dash,,,???? only difference I could see.?
Good luck:flag6:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Congrats on your HT - it looks super solid - great builder - can't wait to watch your build thread!

:tu

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Great Find Hafrod. The bottom of that car looks as solid as the day it was made. I assume you are using that straight axle just to make the car mobile since all the front suspension is removed.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
That is really a solid car. Floor pans, rockers, frame! Your build will rock. Must have been kept in a dry location, NOT NJ! :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was in California till 2000 something, then went to Iowa for a father and son project. The dad wanted a 55 and the son wanted a 57. They listed it on ebay, then it was purchased by member Fastman from Wisconsin in 2008. Now 2013 purchased by me in Oklahoma The car sure has made a trek across America. The straight axle is just for mobility. I was just now going to install the stock suspension but the ball joints have been removed. It sure was fun inventorying everything. Looks like I'm missing headliner bows, the three chrome headliner bows, top core support bar, rear bumper, steering wheel, ash tray, LF window slider track, gas tank and gas fill tube. I have everything here in my spare parts except both headliner bow sets and LF window slider track. I know there will be more tidbits but I've got totes full of spare pieces.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Great score Hafrod. I'll be keeping up with your build.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
65,811 Posts
hard to find your dream, but you did it. congrats and have fun with it. :tu

:04:

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,470 Posts
Hafrod what are your plans for a powertrain?

·
Premium Member
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hafrod what are your plans for a powertrain?
First gen small block. Got one already machined with new parts. Just need to put it together. 350 4 bolt main, Flat top pistons, junky old, no flowing 882 smog heads but going to port them a little, Performer RPM Air Gap intake, 670 Holley Avenger, 125 HP NOS kit, mild cam, roller rockers, shorty headers and a 700R4 trans. Not going for a drag car, just an occasional pass or two at the midnight drags with my friends.

1 - 20 of 2007 Posts