Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2007 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,981
never cover fresh paint with plastic EVER. it still breaths for weeks and will blush and ruin the paint job.
I've NEVER had an issue. To clarify, I'm talking about putting it on the roof as I buff the rear and firewall so it does not sling crud on it. But thanks for your concern

·
Registered
413 Posts
SWEET !! Looks great. Can't wait to see it all done.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,986
Great job! I'm happy for ya! Glad to hear you like the 400-01. I had to smile when you said, "It's not how well you paint, it's how good you are at buffing." I've said something very similar to my friends when they saw my recent black paint job, and they think I'm this great painter. I tell them "I'm not good at painting, but I am good at paint correction." Again, congrats!
Thanks Dave

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,989
Dang it, I gave away A LOT of 55 used parts to a guy a few years ago that was building a 4 door that used to be a parts car. I thought I kept a couple items in my spare bedrooms closet in a large tote. Some of the parts I had were from my very first 55. These were just small parts. I need the horn ring center piece for my stock steering wheel. This is the painted part the emblem goes on for a 3 spoke (Belair) steering wheel. I'm not sure how to get in contact with him either. I really wanted it for the nostalgia factor but it went on to save another. So I guess I'm happy in that aspect. I think I'd rather have an original over a repop.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,990
So today I decided to put the body shell out in direct sunlight. The paint is pretty soft so this should help it cure a bit faster. Within about 15 minutes, it smells like I just painted it. Kinda caught me off guard. Very noticeable smell walking up to it. Especially about 10 feet away

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,441 Posts
So today I decided to put the body shell out in direct sunlight. The paint is pretty soft so this should help it cure a bit faster. Within about 15 minutes, it smells like I just painted it. Kinda caught me off guard. Very noticeable smell walking up to it. Especially about 10 feet away
I have a 10 footer as well Hafrod....Maybe 20' :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looking good Hafrod!!! Your vids are very helpful thanks for taking the time to do them.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,993
Looking good Hafrod!!! Your vids are very helpful thanks for taking the time to do them.
You are very welcome. I try to gear them toward garage builder hobbyists since the keyboard professionals know everything already ;) :)

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,999
Thanks guys. I do enjoy the positive comments. It helps keep me motivated

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,000
Just switched to dark mode on this site. I like it A LOT better. No big update on the car. Spent a few days smoothing the door jambs and one front fender jamb. Still not done with the doors. It is a massive amount of work to slick up the jambs. I won a best paint award at a show a few years ago. It came down to mine and another guys car. The judges went back to both cars. Judge asked if he could open the door. I said yep. He opened it and knelt down inspecting the inside door jamb. I had it fully painted and detailed. The latches had been removed before paint and I used nice stainless hardware. Also had repop decals on door jamb. The jambs were not smoothed just sanded and repainted. They did look nice though. So this time I want my jambs as smooth and straight as the outside panels

1981 - 2000 of 2007 Posts