Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2007 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,961
So the body shell is sanded. I spent all morning masking. Still got to mask the entire underneath of car like a diaper. Don't want overspray getting on the raptor liner. Every hole no matter what it's for is plugged to keep overspray out. Tomorrow will be primer day for the body shell. Then it will get unmasked to cure out a couple days. Then I get to wet sand it all and mask it AGAIN. :argh:

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,962 (Edited)
I wet sand with a spray bottle not a hose. I have tried dry sanding and it is a hassle. Paper clogs too easily. Cannot consistently sand. I don't need debates on my build thread. Every painter is different period

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,963
I'm not trying to be a butt head Mikey. I and everyone else here know you're very knowledgeable. I just have my ways right or wrong. I do not however mind asking for help sometimes. Ten painters asked same question give out ten different answers :sign0020:

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,964
I feel I need to explain myself because I'm coming off like a jerk. I'm not meaning to be. In build threads when someone replies about their way, it ends up in a flood of debate over how each person does it. I just like my build threads to be clean of that unless I'm asking. I have the utmost respect for Mikey. I feel he is the most knowledgeable tri 5 guy on the planet period.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm not trying to be a butt head Mikey. I and everyone else here know you're very knowledgeable. I just have my ways right or wrong. I do not however mind asking for help sometimes. Ten painters asked same question give out ten different answers :sign0020:
Agreed. When I was having issues correcting the mis-matched color of the doors on my panel truck, we ended up gathering 4 local painters and paint reps from 2 different companies, along with myself and Brad, the guy who painted the truck, to resolve the problem. Everyone had a different "sure fire" way of dealing with it. In the end, they just kept tweaking the paint by eye and doing test spray outs until they had it perfect.

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,966
So primer is on. Got it all sprayed before noon. Going to let it sit a couple days before sanding it. Not just to let it cure well but because my fingers and hands are not ready for sanding again :sign0020: Dang it, guess I'll mow my yard now

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I love what you do Hafrod but all that sanding is taking your toll...kinda strange dialog :)

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,968
Holy Smoke!! Just realized I have 500,000 views on this thread. Seven years in though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Very cool build and updates

·
Premium Member
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,976
No painting today because they ordered in the wrong paint. It won't be in till 11AM. So irritated. Noone at my local store knows paint so you have to have your own part numbers. I have their catalog and took it with me yesterday but he couldn't find the black in computer. I got low voc black part# 412-01 and I want 400-01. The 412-01 says "IS" I can't find anything on what "IS" means. It also says to add something for better gloss and depth. What the? So I'm going to get the 400-01. The reducer and activator I got is wrong as well. Jeez, I can't catch a break

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Great job! I'm happy for ya! Glad to hear you like the 400-01. I had to smile when you said, "It's not how well you paint, it's how good you are at buffing." I've said something very similar to my friends when they saw my recent black paint job, and they think I'm this great painter. I tell them "I'm not good at painting, but I am good at paint correction." Again, congrats!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,447 Posts
Reminds me of another one...."I'm a good welder, if I have a grinder handy" :D

·
Premium Member
13,232 Posts
never cover fresh paint with plastic EVER. it still breaths for weeks and will blush and ruin the paint job.

Reactions: TheHotrodHandyman
1961 - 1980 of 2007 Posts