Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up another TriFive today....When braking it has a severs pull to the left....Has stock drums all the way around...However, the PO has added a power brake booster to the system.

When applying the brakes, it really pulls to the left....Haven't investigated it yet....The PO said he replaced the shoes and wheel cylinders and has adjusted the brakes....Looked at it on the lift at his shop.....It has new rubber hoses as well.

Plan on taking a look at it tomorrow....Will verify that it has new cylinders and shoes...Will also bleed the brakes to ensure both sides are getting fluid....Will also check the drum condition and verify that the leading and secondary shoe were put on correctly.

Am I missing anything?

·
51,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dave, one side (front) may be tighter adjusted than the other. This will also make it pull.
Will check again with instructions in thre repair manual....However, we put it up on the lift and he adjusted them....Looked like he had it right to me.

Can't seem to find the adjustment procedures in the Shop Manual. :confused0006:

·
51,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
219 Posts
Depending on how mechanically inclined the previous owner was, he MAY have put the shoes on backwards. If the long shoe is in front, it will want to lock up the brakes on that side. I've bought a car in the past for just that reason, the PO thought he had torn it up, I just swapped the shoes around.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Just picked up another TriFive today....When braking it has a severs pull to the left....Has stock drums all the way around...However, the PO has added a power brake booster to the system.

When applying the brakes, it really pulls to the left....Haven't investigated it yet....The PO said he replaced the shoes and wheel cylinders and has adjusted the brakes....Looked at it on the lift at his shop.....It has new rubber hoses as well.

Plan on taking a look at it tomorrow....Will verify that it has new cylinders and shoes...Will also bleed the brakes to ensure both sides are getting fluid....Will also check the drum condition and verify that the leading and secondary shoe were put on correctly.

Am I missing anything?
Dave

wheres pic :happy0030:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I had this with my 56, it was a bad brake hose. You didn't say if he changed the rubber hoses. When they get old the insides will collapse and not allow the fluid to flow in both directions. Change the rubber hoses.

Don

·
51,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had this with my 56, it was a bad brake hose. You didn't say if he changed the rubber hoses. When they get old the insides will collapse and not allow the fluid to flow in both directions. Change the rubber hoses....Don
Don....The hoses are new

Buck....Will check to see if the shoes are swapped

Randy:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Owned my 55 for close to 40 years.. Just this year this happened... Ill be darned it was do to pitted wheel race.. where the bearing rides.. Just another idea for you...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts