Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'm new to the game. I have a stock 265 1956 210 post. It cranks fine when cold but after 15 - 20 minutes of driving, it turns over very slow. I'm going to check the battery, but I've seen info about these starters getting hot. If that's the problem, what do you recommend - a more modern starter? Thanks, John

·
Registered
646 Posts
starter could be getting weak or it could be a heat related issue. If it's neither one of them it could be that the timing is advanced to far for hot starting , I think I would check that first.:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'm new to the game. I have a stock 265 1956 210 post. It cranks fine when cold but after 15 - 20 minutes of driving, it turns over very slow. I'm going to check the battery, but I've seen info about these starters getting hot. If that's the problem, what do you recommend - a more modern starter? Thanks, John

My first though would be timing.....my Chevelle did that till we reset timing. :)
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator
68,028 Posts
Those new mini high torque starters seem to be the go for you could try O`reilys or Napa for a change over

:anim_25:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did check the timing. It's OK. And the problem is engine turns over almost too slow to start. I've seen starters advertised that claim to solve the "hot start problem". Also heat sheilds to protect the starter from the header.

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
I had a similar problem and after checking the carb and starter I found it to be a weak/dying battery.

I like your engine compartment with the PS and PB. No battery hold down?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Make sure that you are not getting robbed of power by a short somewhere in the wiring as well. I would go over it with a fine tooth come. my brother had the same problem in a Pontiac trans am and the wiring to the "volt reg" was at fault.... Just a thought. Hope you get it licked real soon. :blowtiedb: :anim_25:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Might be in the old starter itself. I would take it out and have it checked out by a auto electric shop. The solenoid contacts could be bad or the armature could be dirty ,corroded.
Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have had the heat soaked starter problem in several cars over the years. Make sure all battery cables and terminals are good. Always ended replacing the starter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK Thanks for the suggestions. As far as the battery hold down, I haven't gotten to that yet. One more thing on the list. Thanks again, John. bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

I put a new battery in from another car, and it seemed to help quite a bit with the hot starting. I'm going to buy a new battery and replace the cables while I'm at it. I think that will do it at least until hot weather. :party0024:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I put a new battery in from another car, and it seemed to help quite a bit with the hot starting. I'm going to buy a new battery and replace the cables while I'm at it. I think that will do it at least until hot weather. :party0024:
Can't tell from the picture, is your negative battery cable connected to the body as original, or to the engine? .... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-12.gif If it's connected to the body, make sure you have another cable from the body to the engine/starter with good connections. ....http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-15.gif
The battery cable directly to the engine is the better option, but you still need a cable from the engine to the body.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
B4 you throw parts at it, do what Terry mentioned w/ the ground cables. Then, run a volt drop test on the entire system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ground goes to the body. It's the red wire in the photo. So do I need another ground wire wire from the starter to the body? Thanks, John

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts