Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Hardtop flipper install.

1537 Views 28 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  [email protected] HollowChevy
I had the flippers restored and now getting around to installing them.
Today I got the passenger side installed. Still need to get the back to close without slamming the door.
Todd
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Green
See less See more
Reactions: 1
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Great that you got them to work for you! Would you be able to summarize what you did to fix your installation? Inquiring minds...
I added extra rubber seal in the center.
For one thing it didn't take 70 years for the flippers to be a issue I can remember my Grandfathers 55 Pontiac Star Chief having issues with the flippers & he had bought it new & kept till 1960 looked just like this car for Sale at Barret Jackson I don't think his had the visor but that's been a long time ago beautiful car though.

Attachments

See less See more
Same here.
I always wondered how did they do it at the factory back in the day lol.
Todd
I wondered that also.
Thanks for posting the specifics of your installation adjustments.(y)
I added extra rubber seal in the center.
Come to think of it, I did also. I used about a 16 inch piece (+/-) of the old seal which was in pretty good shape and put it in the center of the length of the flipper.
No way to post the original articles I wrote years ago for Bow Tie Chevys on all the adjustment for these flippers. The article was more
than 10 pages in 2 different monthly issues with photos and text.

On some original cars I have found water proof cardboard used as a shim between the seal and the body in the center. The seal was
also made with a slight taper from the outside edge to the inner edge. This also helped the flipper rotate so it would close better. This seal
was more like a plastic material than rubber which also helped. The lip on it would cover the hinge and not get sucked into the hinge
like the repro junk one sold today. I have told countless guy to just cut the lip off so it will not interfere with the function, of the hinge.
I didn't cut the lip off, yet. I did shim with small washers on the passenger side. The strip caulking was enough for the driver's side and didn't need shims.
Todd

PS.... Maybe Mikey's fingers would like to do some typing again? Lol
Nope.....I can't replicate the photos I took years ago. They were done with real film, and I sent them with the text for the article. All was done
in B/W. Copying the article would not give the same detail
Nope.....I can't replicate the photos I took years ago. They were done with real film, and I sent them with the text for the article. All was done
in B/W. Copying the article would not give the same detail
Do you happen to remember the year or issue that those articles are in? I will be curious in reading them my dad has all the issues.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts