Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this but came up empty,so I will ask our esteemed panel of trifive experts. In dis-assembling my 56 Bel Air 4 door hard top (sport sedan) ,the front door side glass frame has the remnants of a rubber strip that is fastened to the lower glass channel with screws from the bottom and runs the length of said metal channel.Was this to seal the water out when the window is up ? It doesn't look like the "fuzzies"would stop much from draining down inside the door from the outside when in a rain storm or washing the exterior.I haven't located them in anyone's catalog as yet and wouldn't know what they are called but they are there although the worse for wear.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I remember installing new ones on my 56 2DRHT, they were available 15 years ago from Danchuk for the 2DRHT. I don't remember what purpose they served, but chevy wouldn't waste money on something useless. They must direct water away from the window regulator mechanisms. Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hardtop window seals at bottom

Thanks Dave for the info. . It seems that the 4 door hardtop door and glass ,although shorter in length is very similar in design to the convertibles and 2dr hardtops. It must have a purpose.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Snaptoo
I have a 2 dr HT and it does not have what you describe.
David the link you gave is for glass setting channel for sedans and wagons.
Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hardtop lower window seal

Thanks Jim and David, at least I know what they are called and that some did and some didn't use them . This car was built in Janesville, Wis. and moved to Nevada a year later by the first owner, I'm the second. Perhaps it was an East coast/West coast deal? Thanks guys for the info.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Thanks Jim and David, at least I know what they are called and that some did and some didn't use them . This car was built in Janesville, Wis. and moved to Nevada a year later by the first owner, I'm the second. Perhaps it was an East coast/West coast deal? Thanks guys for the info.
You misunderstood, that is not what they are called. Those are for sedans and wagons not HT. HTs (at least the 2 door) have a chrome frame all around the window and do not use channel sets.
Jim

·
Registered
623 Posts
All TRI 5's, whether they are sedans, htd (2 or 4 Door), convertibles, nomads ETC, use a glass setting channel to secure the door window into the door glass bottom metal channels. If you do not use a glass setting channel you wont be able to roll your windows up and down.
Some glass setting channels had a rubber extension (Flap) This flap, when installed facing the outside of the door, was used to prevent water from getting inside the door.
Danchuk sells the glass channel kits. They do not make a kit for the 4 dr htd but do for a 2 dr htd/convertible.
You will have to buy 1 kit for your 4 dr htd.
Kit PN is #843.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hardtop window seals

OK , I think this pea pickin' brain has absorbed most of this info. thank you fellas! This 4 dr. hardtop has the glass setting channel at the bottom with the "Rain flap" and it also has the chrome setting channels at the rear and top of the side glass, the front is a glass edge that runs in the division channel at the rear of the vent assembly. I don't need the lower setting channel, just the setting tape kit DC's # 843 for converts and 2 dr.hardtops. Now for the search for the proper power window motors and regulators for at least the fronts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts