Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have stock 283 in my '57. The HB has the pulley riveted in place. I need to the HB for one without pulley so I can bolt up my Eddie's pulley kit double v-belt pulley which uses (3) 3/8 fine thread bolts.

I found a HB on ebay that was taken from a C1 Vette. It has the (3) cast webs on inner hub and the proper fine thread holes to attach the new pulley. The Vette HB has the part number 3883-2X5 stamped on backside of one of the cast ribs ( X digit is not readable since it is over a drilled hole).

Does anyone know the exact application the 3883 HB came off??

Both HB are 6" OD and same length. The Vette HB has a repair sleeve on timing cover seal diameter that measures 1.797". My original HD diameter is only 1.769" - a difference of 0.028".

Will the Vette HB work on any SBC of same vintage?
Do I need to turn the timing cover seal diameter down to match my original HB?
Would I be better off to grind off pulley rivets and then drill and tap (3) new holes for the new pulley?

Of course when I bought the pulley kit from Eddie's I was told it would be able to use my original HB and I didn't need to buy a new one...LOL

I am running out of time on this project trying to get the engine upgraded and add Vintage AC so I can drive to Bowling Green in style and in cool comfort. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Back in the '60s a 283 was very popular. We changed parts off any thing that would fit. Never gave it much thought. And, it worked. That's the beauty of the early 283 and 327. Now, I would suspect the HB would be pretty much the same. 6" dia is what you need. Vett or not, the HB doesn't care where he goes. The attachment is the difference. A lot of work to grind off rivets, drill and tap. If swapping the two HB is easier, then do that.
Dennis Bubp

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,769 Posts
You will have a hard time removing the pulley. I know I did it ONE time and learned the lesson you have. That is you can just remove the old pulley and in stall the new one. The metal is hardened steel and you cannot tap it easily. Even if you can the balancer is not designed for this to be done.

I have a balancer that is the correct replacement you need. The hub has a new sleeve installed and I have the new grade 8 fine thread bolts you will need as well.

Before I got it some one had used a BFH on the center. I cleaned that up and the pulley now fits fine. One of the threaded holes had a few treads messed up, but they cleaned up with a tap. Now all 3 new bolts fit fine.

The double groove pulley is a used OEM that is the same as you got with your kit.

Over the years I have picked these up when I could for this very reason.

Contact me if you want it. I can ship it ASAP I accept paypal payments also

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the OD of the hub that runs against the timing cover seal? The Vette HB and my original HB have different diameters. Looking at all the repair sleeve info, I do not see anything about having to turn the OD after sleeve is installed...:confused0006:

·
10,769 Posts
The first balancer is a stock 265-283 from 55-57. With the stock pulley removed. You can see that there is not enough material in the center hub to drill and tap because of the spacing. The last ones show the measurement of the hub with new seals installed.

Note: My first photos showed a different measurement. I did not zero my caliper dumb me.....i'm old school!!! These are now correct!

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
10,769 Posts
Yup it is the same. Your measurement is the OEM hub. The sleeve adds the extra. There is plenty of room in the timing change cover seal for this

I went back and measured the hub(s) without the sleeve and then with the sleeve. So there is the difference.

The last balancer you show, is a later style and not correct for the early motors, however it will fit

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts