Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am very new to this whole online society of forums so bear with me.

Has anyone used C6 Z06 or CTS-V rotors and Calipers on a tri-five drop spindle front suspension? I have seen C6 Z06 brakes on a super big budget custom and I know that Hot Rod Jim is offering an entire Chassis with the C6 Zo6 brake setup, but is there a way to do this mod using an off the shelf drop spindle?

Here is a link to Hot Rod Jim's
http://hrjinc.com/trifive_c4_z06_coil.php
(It looks amazing Jim!)

Here is a similar big brake kit mod for late model Camaros:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1117381-super-cheap-big-brake-kit-info.html

Now can you help me understand what it takes to make this mod work?
A few questions? How can I figure out if the rotor is compatible?

This kit is using the C6Z06 Rotor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/59-6...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27ac32eac2

What makes the Impalla spindle work for the rotor, and not the tri five dropped spindle?

Now how do I figure out how to mount the caliper?

I think that C5 calipers work on the late model Heidts drop spindle. Does that mean the the bolt pattern for the C6 Z06 or CTS-V caliper will also be compatible/similar. There may need to be some different wheel offset of the caliper due to an increased caliper thickness, but is it feasible. Based on the big brake kit forum link above it seems that the CTS-V caliper might work. Do you forsee any problems with the steering arm?

I am trying to get some direction on where and what to research so any advice is greatly appreciated. I am not entirely familiar with the layout of the spindle and hub assembly so please forgive my ignorance. Thank you for your input.

:)

·
Registered
68,433 Posts
:hello: hi fenix and welcome! good to have you join us. someone here should be able to help. :anim_25:

·
Registered
37,580 Posts
I'm reasonably sure you can do it provided you do your homework. 12" or 13" rotors from a C5 or C4 would probably be easier.

I think you're going to have to worry about the wheels in the same manner as posted in the link. I.e., you're going to need thick pads in the mounting area. The billet wheel suppliers can do that.

·
12,256 Posts
Anything can be done with enough money and/or the right adapters. I doubt there is an easy bolt-on solution to this, especially for an aftermarket dropped spindle. But it's likely an adapter could be designed and fabbed. It looks like those C6 brakes would require at least a 19" wheel.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That Ebay seller has 13" on Heidt's spindles listed or are you stuck on 14"? From your post it sounds like you're trying to do it yourself for cheap. In the long run it's better to buy a readily available kit, if it's not to expensive.

·
Registered
37,580 Posts
Seems like when I was reading up on this prior to the C6 introduction, the way that many of the Camaro guys were going was to use the C5 rotors and the C4 calipers, as that spared you some of the caliper clearance issues, and it also made the caliper bracket a bit easier to build.

Some combination of C4/C5/C6 brakes is achievable on early Camaros, Chevells, and the like. No reason you couldn't do it in a similar way on a 55-57 with dropped spindles. Your brackets will be different though. And you'll have to come up with a hub with the right bearings, as those rotors are all "hat" style with a separate hub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CTS V Brakes

Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate any information.

Rick L got me thinking:
And you'll have to come up with a hub with the right bearings, as those rotors are all "hat" style with a separate hub.
Has anyone used the C5 rotor on the heidts drop spindle? The C5 probably has the modern sealed bearings. How does the hub/bearling layout work on the old school spindle?

I am going to do some more research. I fear that It will be much easier and more cost effective to use an off the shelf kit. I was hoping to piece something together that had some originality to it. I will keep you posted on any progress. If anyone has any ideas I am all ears. Thanks again!

·
12,256 Posts
If I had a bunch of parts to mix and match, I suspect that I could find something that would work even if it took some machining to make it work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Found a supplier

Hi guys,

Just letting you know that I've found a supplier that can make the caliper bracket for the C6 calipers and rotors.

www.kore3.com

It isn't on their website, but I called and they said that they had just finished a kit for the stock 57 spindle. For a drop spindle they will reverse engineer a mounting bracket to mount everything up. They also have the correct hub/bearing assembly. I don't know how much offset this will make on the tire, but when I find out I will post it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts