Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a 3rd brake light? I find the brake lights are not that noticeable and I would be really pissed if someone ran into me. I am referring to one that possibly looks like this. :bowtieb:If so could you please post the information as to where, and how much? Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
3rd Brake Light

I installed one as part of the rear speakers for the stereo I installed. Like you I probably would have done it for safety if I didn't do the stereo.

I upgraded the brakes so I can stop and have the high brake light so people know I'm stopping.

I don't have any good pictures of it, it is just a plain red light, nothing fancy.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Has anyone bought a 3rd brake light? I find the brake lights are not that noticeable and I would be really pissed if someone ran into me. I am referring to one that possibly looks like this. :bowtieb:If so could you please post the information as to where, and how much? Much appreciated.
Here is mine. It is originally a 1955 one.

Heita!

:/=:

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Bowtie lens version

Hi
I've used this type on projects in the past, from Danchuk. They come brushed finish(10028) or polished(10029). :anim_25:

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
Hi
I've used this type on projects in the past, from Danchuk. They come brushed finish(10028) or polished(10029). :anim_25:
those are neat (#10029-$85 & #10028-$74). :tu

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
They are commonplace...here is mine. Also why are you still driving with one filament rear tail light bulbs? Put LED tail lights in and they will be super bright and super safe then add the chevy 3 rd brake light to really light up your rear at night!

Johnny

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Absolutely, should have LED taillights. I do not have a third brake light but have LED taillights. Big improvement over stock filament bulbs.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
My $.02.. the lite on the trunk is in no better position than the tail lights...
Mine is a LED system from a suburban.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I installed one of those Danchuks # 10029 bowtie 3rd brake lights and I'm very dissapointed with it! You can hardly see it during the daytime and at night its not very bright either. The reason is it only has 3 led lights inside.:bowtieb: Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent thanks as to Leds any recommended

Looks awesome as to the Leds any specific company to order from? Can I just pop out the existing and pop in the leds or is there some kind of conversion needed?bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks awesome as to the Leds any specific company to order from? Can I just pop out the existing and pop in the leds or is there some kind of conversion needed?bowtie-trifive
I tried the LED 1157 bulbs and they weren't as bright as the regular bulbs I took out, so I put the original bulbs back in. I don't know if the larger LED set up would be better or if something needs to be done to the wiring to get them brighter. I was dissapointed.

Al

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,705 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I tried the LED 1157 bulbs and they weren't as bright as the regular bulbs I took out, so I put the original bulbs back in. I don't know if the larger LED set up would be better or if something needs to be done to the wiring to get them brighter. I was dissapointed.

Al
I just replaced mine with the concealed led unit WHAT A DIFFERENCE,

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
My bowtie 3rd brake light is bright - even in the daytime...leds! filament bulbs suck for any reason!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I purchased mine from e-bay. Got a 40 led one for only 14.00. Don't buy the ones coming from china. Get from a us vendor. I talked about this on a previous post of mine. The dealer was Angelcity trading. Very happy with it. Attach one wire to the white wire from your brakelight switch and the other wire to ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts