Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am on a mission to find a temperature sensor for my original temperature gauge out of my 1957 bel air. I've tried a few that are suppose to be a match from my vehicle, and so far all of them are having the needle almost touch the hot mark on the gauge within 5 minutes of the car idling.

I have confirmed that the car is running at normal temps. I bought an aftermarket gauge and sensor kit and I let the car idle for 20 minutes and the temp didn't pass 170. I really want to use the stock gauges.

I am tempted to buy a sensor from danchuk, but I don't know if I will have the same problem.

Has anyone bought a sensor from danchuk and used it with their original gauges???

Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
I haven't but you should be able to buy the sender at NAPA or another auto parts store. That way, if you do have a problem you won't have to ship it back or pay shipping on your purchased item to begin with. Are you sure that your gauge is ok?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last time the car was running (a few years ago) the gauge was working properly. I checked it today again, when I ground the temp wire it reads past hot, and when I disconnect the wire it reads past cold.

·
Premium Member
16,187 Posts
Find a known good used original or an NOS original GM/Delco sender and you should be all set. Others here have purchased the Danchuk repro and have had the same results you got from the part store senders so don't waste your time or money, Get an original either used or NOS. :)

-Bruce

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The one from Rock Auto in ILL is suppose to be the most accurate and correct for our vehicles. Someone will come along with the correct number. I have one I bought, but I'd have to search for the record of it. It's something like T1028.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know if I was to buy a new temp gauge and sensor from danchuk of the two would be compatible?

·
12,256 Posts
There should be some kind of spec on the resistance of these sensors cold and hot. I'd just measure it and see if it's ok. If it is, the problem is your gauge, not the sender. You may be on a wild goose chase. ;)

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
I think tjsdelivery has the most likely answer here. The senders Danchuk sells and many auto supply replacements are not right. I've seen good comments about the one tjs referenced. 56 senders sold most places are even worse. No idea if the East Coast sender is good or not, probably more likely than some other sources.

Notice that the link to East Coast says the sensor is for 57-62. I have a friend with a 62 Vette - he went through the same thing, and in his research he found some interesting posts on this stuff at corvetteforum.com. One guy went to the trouble of seeing what teflon tape on the threads did to the sender resistance. It doesn't do anything, contrary to many internet comments.

Last thing, most of these problems, probably over 95%, are sender problems. If the gauge moves, the gauge itself is probably alright.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok check this out...

I did some research and I saw that some other threads said that the sensor should read around 700 ohms at room temp. The 2 different sensors I bought (different part numbers but came up for my vehicle) both read around 540 at room temp. I tested both in boiling water and wrote down ohm readings on both every 10 degrees and they test identical.

If I can't find the right sensor I might have to hook a resistor inline to make it work. I would hate to do it, I really want the right part. I just hate buying sensor after sensor and hoping one works.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
ok check this out...

I did some research and I saw that some other threads said that the sensor should read around 700 ohms at room temp. The 2 different sensors I bought (different part numbers but came up for my vehicle) both read around 540 at room temp. I tested both in boiling water and wrote down ohm readings on both every 10 degrees and they test identical.

If I can't find the right sensor I might have to hook a resistor inline to make it work. I would hate to do it, I really want the right part. I just hate buying sensor after sensor and hoping one works.
Have you tried a Borg/Warner WT203? What sensors did you try? Do they have the correct slide on top hat connector?
What resistance did you get at operateing temp, that made your gauge go too high? I have one I can test. It reads about 650 at room temp.
56 gauges are the ones that usually have problems finding the right sensor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok here are some of the readings I got.

At room temp the sender reads about 540 ohms. As the temperature increases, the ohms drop by about 60 ohms per 10 degree of temp rise. When the temp is around 160 and up, the ohms drop by about 30 - 20 ohms per 10 degree of temp rise. When the needle pegs to the "H" line, the ohm reading is 90.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,894 Posts
MrLD....Moved your thread to the Danchuck section.....Hopefully, they can address and fix this issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update...

Ok, so I bought some small resistors from radioshack, and hooked them up inline between the sending unit and the gauge. I figured that if you hook up about 25 ohms of resistance, it makes the newer sending units behave like the original senders do.

I have recently found someone on ebay selling an original sending unit and after installing that one everything works like its suppose to...no resistors necessary.

So for anyone having issues with newer sending units, the lesson is that none of the reproductions will work properly with your original temp gauge. You either need to wire some resistors inline or find an original sending unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts