Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 55 2-door with an old fiberglass flip frontend and i cant get the headlite trim to fit properly at all. Has anyone had this problem before and what did you do to correct it. Did you grind the headlite door to fit or clearance the fiberglass so ring can fit up against the top of the fender or both? I will post some pics later when I can get down to the shop. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Depending on who made your front end, some of them are close and others are total crap. Are you installing the light bucket to have funtional headlights? I recently helped a friend with a tilt front end on a 55 and this was an $800 one . the headlights took a little work but fit pretty good.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Most fiberglass front ends are made to simulate the original looks, but in no way are exact copies, or even close. If you want the original trim to fit, you'll have to cut, patch, and shape. But that's the beauty of fiberglass it's easy to shape.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
In all my years into cars I have yet to see an aftermarket fiberglass part that didn't have fitment issues, Some more than others depending on manufacturer. That said, Have you tried fitting the bezel to the fender with the headlight bucket out to see if it will go up where it is supposed to be? Hard to tell from the pics but it almost looks like the bucket & bulb assembly is too low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I've pulled the headlite assembly completely out and it still has the same problem. I guess i'll just grind until everything fits. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Fitment

From what I've seen in the past I'd say you got the good one. A lot of these are made in a hurry and pulled from the molds recklessly not with quality as #1 .

·
Registered
950 Posts
Good luck! I have a '57 fiberglass front end and only after lots of fiberglass and filler work, they finally fit. The original "fit and finish" wasn't even close. I 'glassed the headlight buckets from the inside and fit the headlight doors from the outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts