Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I just really think that it's cool to also admire the history of a bygone era, where seatbelts, AND TURN SIGNALS, were "optional" at one point in time. I don't think many civilians today can even process that.
I had my '57 out at a "Heritage Days" event at a local historic farm (now a county park) a few years ago. A kid about 10 years old was looking at my car intently. He looked at the steering wheel and horn button. Then, he looked at me and asked if the car had air bags. I told him no - and in fact, it didn't even come with seat belts, as I had to add them.

The look of surprise on his face told me he learned something that day.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If it were a historically significant car, I wouldn’t add them. For something I drive or more importantly have my family in, seatbelts are a must for me.
Some will see it differently, and there is novelty in that most of these cars didn’t have seat belts, but the novelty and history isn’t worth it to me, personally.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
In the event of an accident, unfastened human beings become nothing less than pinballs and projectiles. I'm willing to wager those of us here who have been in an accident are generally opting for seatbelts. They may not look cool, but they are effective.

I installed 3-point lap and shoulder restraints for all 4 seating positions in my 55, and while I hope I never get into an accident, I'm not going to bet my life on it.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,076 Posts
I’ve put them in Bertha and Maude, just lap belts. It’s better than nothing.

Reactions: johnny57

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Mine will have 3 point belts. Biggest worry in our cars is a head on collision! Hard enough and steering column turns into a spear through the chest or neck

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I’m using 3 point retractable. Several companies sell them. Can’t remember where I got the hardware (as of yet all I’ve done is install the anchor in the b pillar)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I don't have any belts, and don't intend to add them. I don't believe that a lap belt would help that much anyway.

Steve
A TriFive has No Airbags..No collapsable steering column..No crumple zones in the front frame and No factory engineered reinforcement for the holes people drill for their seatbelts in the floor. They were built with 1950's survivability standards.
I also don't have belts and don't believe they would save you in a major collision.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
When I built my '37 Austin sedan I knew it would see some strip time occasionally, so it got a full set of harnesses. All my cars get at least a lap belt, but not a full harness unless they have a roll cage.
I personally don't care for modern 3 point belts, and wont use them. On my '39 Chev coupe I have lap belts, but they're easy to shove under the seats at a car show if I want the old school no belts look. But I rarely do that, as I don't care if people see the lap belts.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Driving old cars is just plain scary anymore with all the idiots out there. I updated my car to C4 suspension so I can hopefully dodge them. But, if not I have a roll bar, 5-piont camlock racing harnesses, and a NASCAR spec collapsible steering column. They didn't put seat belts in nearly soon enough because the genius marketers thought they would scare people off thinking their cars were unsafe.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I chose to put lap belts in my Tri-Fives, and use them religiously, but I don't add shoulder belts. Although I know they provide more protection in a collision, I just don't care for the look, especially in a hardtop.
The use of seat belts is mandatory in our province, and there's a $167 fine handed out to any occupant not wearing one. However, if your car/truck did not come equipped from the factory with seat belts, and none have been added, you are exempt. But if they have been added, you must wear them or you'll receive the fine.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts