Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I installed lap belts front & rear in the 56 but am stupid or stubborn enough that rarely wear mine resent the heck out of my wife's Avalon because it won't shut up till I buckle up. Again not real smart.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
no seatbelts in my 57. keeping her original
If your concern is 'original class' judging, there's no worry. Original auto judging rules were changed many years ago to allow such safety upgrades as 'seat belts' even to totally original unrestored cars!
Safety comes FIRST...or third.. depending on your personal views!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have 3 point belts in mine and always use them. Also anybody riding with me has to use them or we don't go anywhere. An unbuckled passenger can kill others in the car in an accident. My brother thought he didn't need to wear his seat belt in my truck (2007 Sierra) one time. I shut the engine off and told him to buckle up or walk. He buckled up.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
After watching several hours of 'Drivers Training' films each Saturday for a few months (way back when I was in the USAF - as a result of citations of my 'speed capability' ...), I've used seat belts every time I get in the car for the last 50 years or so, and I feel naked when they aren't buckled also! Also I don't drive until any passengers are buckled up as well~

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,856 Posts
I'll bet the guy who died at the nationals in 2019 wish he had worn his seat belt.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
So I took my truck to a cruise night over the weekend, and also took 2 of the kids out for a ride in it on Sunday. I thought about this thread alot while I was driving.

Long story short, I have ordered aviation lap belts for it today.. My biggest concern has been, while driving it, that I can already see people not paying attention to my turn signals, even though I know that they are working!! The truck is a tank, but there are just too many reckless people driving out there today.

EDIT: also made sure I ordered ones made in the U.S.A. Got them from jegs.com

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,856 Posts
yes, he had no set belts and was driving on 13 year old tires. had a blow out and rolled the car, was ejected and died from injuries on the scene, was very disheartening to see the crashed car and deceased body under a yellow tarp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I currently do not have them on the 57, but will be adding at least lap belts. It just feels odd not having them and I want my kid with me and not sliding around everywhere.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I believe adding some sort of restraint system is a wise move. The flawed argument is they will not make the car “safe.” This is largely true, but they will without a doubt make the car “safer.”

I believe everybody should do as they feel best, but I would submit the argument they do nothing is patently false. JMHO and somewhat informed opinion.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I go to a lot of swap meets whenever one is close by, and I buy old racing harnesses that have expired per NHRA Tech, and racers have to replace them. They're extremely high quality, and have lots of adjustment in them too. Not pretty for high end cars, so not for everyone. But I have them in both of my cars, and usually buy a complete setup for about $10.
Only use what I need for my cars, so sometimes it's the whole 5 point, and sometimes I only use the lap belts.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
yes, he had no seat belts and was driving on 13 year old tires. had a blow out and rolled the car, was ejected and died from injuries on the scene
This post just made me also finally pull the trigger and order my new rear tires. I have zero clue what the age is of the tires on the back of my truck, not to mention I've already owned the truck for 5 years myself! :O

41 - 60 of 77 Posts