Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have zero clue what the age is of the tires on the back of my truck
To decode tire dates:
But chances are, if you don't know when the tires were purchased, they're probably too old to drive on them more than a few miles an hour.
My '57 came with some from 2007 2004. When I get it running, after I've exercised the car in my driveway and yard a bit, I'll remove the rims and take them in my truck to the tire store.
I replaced the 20 year old original tires on my 1999 1 ton pickup last year. They only had 20k miles on them, but I didn't want to chance it with a yard of gravel in the bed.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks! They are Goodyear Wrangler 235 75 15's, so I know that they aren't tire-sauruses, BUT.. When I got the truck, it was sitting in a guy's grassy yard, and, you can see little cracks forming in the sidewalls. That said, I know they aren't super old school, but, not going to be any more daring now that it's tagged.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I can tell you those are in much better shape than my rears! Mine look decent thanks to "tire wet", but that's my only saving grace right now.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Last summer I was at a Thu. night car cruise in, and two guys showed up with mid 60's Corvettes. One was a 427 435 hp tripower Vette, and the other a 327. Both pretty nice cars, and both running Cragar SS wheels.
I was looking the two cars over and noticed both had lots of tread on BFG TA's, but both had cracked sidewalls.
I mentioned to them that their tires were dangerously cracked from age, and they laughed, and said the tires were probably 35 years old. But they didn't seem the least concerned.
Over last summer I saw them several times at the same Thu. cruise, and they still had the same cracked tires. I kept thinking about how much damage the tires would do on a fiberglass body once they gave up!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Over last summer I saw them several times at the same Thu. cruise, and they still had the same cracked tires. I kept thinking about how much damage the tires would do on a fiberglass body once they gave up!
FG repair is more expensive than metal and less people want to do it. So hope it's worth it!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know, I know, I get it- belts are safer.

I just really think that it's cool to also admire the history of a bygone era, where seatbelts, AND TURN SIGNALS, were "optional" at one point in time. I don't think many civilians today can even process that.
Was once pulled over in my 59 chevy 3100 step side.
The guy asked me:
A) Why don't you have seat belts? I answered, it did not come with them ...
B) Is the crack in your windshield new? I answered, that one is ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 55 2 door post gasser. 427 4 speed and 488 pont/olds rear. I bought Juliano’s 3 point belts for 5 of the seats. Lap belt in the middle front seat. I also have discs on the straight axle, tilt collapsible column and radial tires. I couldn’t liv with myself if a family member or friend got seriously hurt because the car didn’t come with them. My sister in law was ejected from a car in the 80’s and died , she was not wearing one. People do what they want but when I pull the front wheels I don’t want slide around on my bench seat. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
129 Posts
As a younger man, I used to race NASCAR circle tracks. My race car was a 1957 Chevy hardtop race car. It had a cage and a full set of safety belts. Hitting the wall at speed, it was important to have belts. So, when I bought my "55 Chevy 210 4 door sedan, one of the first things I did was have lap belts installed throughout the car. I take my grandkids and great grandkids in it and would never sacrifice their safety or mine. I take it to car shows and have gotten many compliments about having the belts installed. I will not get in without buckling them up!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
To decode tire dates:
But chances are, if you don't know when the tires were purchased, they're probably too old to drive on them more than a few miles an hour.
My '57 came with some from 2007 2004. When I get it running, after I've exercised the car in my driveway and yard a bit, I'll remove the rims and take them in my truck to the tire store.
I replaced the 20 year old original tires on my 1999 1 ton pickup last year. They only had 20k miles on them, but I didn't want to chance it with a yard of gravel in the bed.
The tires on my car were 14 years old and had less then 800 miles on them...they looked brand new.

Don't care, I replaced them this spring with a brand new set and now I can buckle up and go down the highway @ 75mph without worrying about a blowout!

·
Registered
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Sedan
195 Posts
I know, I know, I get it- belts are safer.

I just really think that it's cool to also admire the history of a bygone era, where seatbelts, AND TURN SIGNALS, were "optional" at one point in time. I don't think many civilians today can even process that.
I have lap belts in my Double Nickle, but I never use them, plus they're in there more or less for looks then function. They're not mounted to the frame, just holes drilled into the floor sheet metal, with large diameter washer, nuts and bolts.
I remember years ago on a 60 Minutes segment, that NTB (National Transportation Board) did a study on lap belts only, & they could cause extensive internal damage in your guts. Now at the time they were pushing the new (back then) seat belts with shoulder harness, but it made sense to me. Now with that gut thing being said, I love my Grandchildren, but I still make them wear the lap belts if they go cruising with me, and hope for no major head on accident, as we always do when cruising around. Lets not forget about our old steering wheels and columns that will still crush our chests, or turn into a spear too. If I were to do it again, even if they're more involved to install, I'd go with 3 point retractable set up, but that not anything in the future in my crystal ball to do to my car.

·
Registered
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Sedan
195 Posts
Last summer I was at a Thu. night car cruise in, and two guys showed up with mid 60's Corvettes. One was a 427 435 hp tripower Vette, and the other a 327. Both pretty nice cars, and both running Cragar SS wheels.
I was looking the two cars over and noticed both had lots of tread on BFG TA's, but both had cracked sidewalls.
I mentioned to them that their tires were dangerously cracked from age, and they laughed, and said the tires were probably 35 years old. But they didn't seem the least concerned.
Amen To That !!

·
Registered
797 Posts
My '57 had front lap-sash seatbelts from at least the '60s. So I've always had seatbelts, and I installed rear ones for the kids in the 90s. In fact here, once a car has seatbelts installed, you can't just "uninstall" them. Not that I'd want to - a stock steering column is like a spear pointing at your chest. :oops: No one is immune to getting hurt in a collision without at least seatbelts. Also, we now have detection cameras for seatbelt (and mobile phone usage), and fines are more than doubling in July to $A 1048 for a driver or front seat passenger!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts