Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a few vintage photos from the early 70's of a '55 gasser that had the stock upper and lower control arms machined with relief holes spaced equidistant across the upper arm and across the face of the lower. And if I were to guess they appear to be between 7/8" to 1".

What advantage would this have been...I mean in reality your weight reduction would be negligible. And what about structual integrity losses?

It looked cool......but.....

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I recently came across a few vintage photos from the early 70's of a '55 gasser that had the stock upper and lower control arms machined with relief holes spaced equidistant across the upper arm and across the face of the lower. And if I were to guess they appear to be between 7/8" to 1".

What advantage would this have been...I mean in reality your weight reduction would be negligible. And what about structual integrity losses?

It looked cool......but.....

I've ssse vintage pohots of what you describe. Those factory arms are scrawny enough without hole sawing holes in them. I wouldn't do it. Not on my life! There are safer places to remove weight in non-structural areas! I've seen door shells with inside shell drilled out. GM trucks in the 90's pretty much eliminated the entire inner surface leaving a lip around the edge.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
They are for lightening. One little hole saw plug does not mean much, but if you do enough of them, it does add up.

Most of the strength of the control arm is at the edges where they had a flange and/or a lip, except for the bump stop area, which should be undisturbed. Even drilling the flange would be ok if not taken to extreme.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,865 Posts

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
Those holes are in the areas I talked about. And notice that the bump stop area has a reinforcement rather than holes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I see that too Rick L.. make you wonder how how much he saved after that heavy welded fish plate.. But it looks so cool....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts