Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't set up at a swap meet in 20 years until this weekend. I decided to do a meet in Canton Texas, mainly just to hang out and do something different for a change. I only took bigger buck stuff and had a nice display. It didn't take me long to see that things have changed in a big way from what I remember the way swap meets used to be like. Most all of the vendors were crude people, reminded me of carnys. There was almost nothing out there but pure junk. The majority of the "buyers" were tire kickers, jewbirds, and smart mouthed wise guys. I packed up my goods and left in the middle of the second day. Total waste of time and money for me.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I tend to agree with you, this yr. I didn't go to iola here in wi. last yr. they couldn't even fill the slots. the Jefferson swap still enjoy, one thing that aggravates me it seems more like a flea market. more junky stuff & a lot of non car stuff. but it gets me away from honeydo's.

·
Premium Member
13,579 Posts
Ebay has pretty much ruined swap meets. I've built most of my car so far by sitting at the computer instead of driving on long drives to find stuff.

Sucks, but it's reality.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yep Jim, live about 30 mins. from Canton. Never more than maybe 50 vendors with a lot of junk and off brand new stuff. Only go for the exercise. Feel for ya because it was too hot to go today.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No longer than I was there I still came away with some pretty good stories. It was like some of those people were born under a #3 washtub, then taken out there and let out into the world.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep Jim, live about 30 mins. from Canton. Never more than maybe 50 vendors with a lot of junk and off brand new stuff. Only go for the exercise. Feel for ya because it was too hot to go today.
Oh Man! I almost vapor locked out there it was so hot,,,,

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
One of the things that has ruined them for me, besides all the junk, is all the picker, storage and car shows on TV. Everyone now seems to think everything they have there is super rare. The San Jacinto VCCA put one on down here that we helped work and I noticed like Y'all did, it just wasn't the same old "car guy" crowd.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the things that has ruined them for me, besides all the junk, is all the picker, storage and car shows on TV. Everyone now seems to think everything they have there is super rare. The San Jacinto VCCA put one on down here that we helped work and I noticed like Y'all did, it just wasn't the same old "car guy" crowd.
Yeah, they even had some guy out there called "Vic the Slick The Outsider" from Storage Wars.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
As a member of the general public I think the merchandise is generally unsuitable for ebay for any number of reasons, which makes it a reasonable venue for items I cannot normally find on ebay. Plus, there's alot to learn from the folks I meet. However, it appears that it's the same 5% of the population out there all the time. The other 95% of the population is not emtertained by this activity.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
First Monday?

Wasn't there a monthly flea market in Canton at one time? Went to it once, 40 years ago, lots of stuff. There was one vendor selling de-scented skunks. Ever pet a baby skunk? Silky smooth.

And I agree swap meets have gotten kinda lame, especially the big ones. I'm going to stick to the small scale meets in my area, and go plenty early.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wasn't there a monthly flea market in Canton at one time? Went to it once, 40 years ago, lots of stuff. There was one vendor selling de-scented skunks. Ever pet a baby skunk? Silky smooth.

And I agree swap meets have gotten kinda lame, especially the big ones. I'm going to stick to the small scale meets in my area, and go plenty early.
Oh Yeah,,,still is, its one of the biggest flea markets in the southwest.
They have a BIG complex. The "swap meet" is held at the same venue, NICE PLACE.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
It isn't you Jim. I used to love the swap meets at the good guys shows in Pleasanton. Now most all you see is big time vendors and few individual sellers. That was where all the good deals were is with the individual sellers.

·
RIP: 2/16/2019
4,144 Posts
The early Spring shows are pretty good, but the parts go quick. By Summer it is all junk. Still enjoy the shows, if only to hang out with friends.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm sorry you had a poor experience. I'm very lucky. A huge swap meet comes to town three times a year. http://www.ohioswapmeet.com/ There is a lot of what you described, but parts can still be bought and sold. I've built numerous cars from swap meet parts. And I like the new parts there as well. You can collect a whole lot of parts, without worrying about shipping damage, individual part quality, etc. The only complaint I have about the swap meets, is that there are not many trifive parts at the shows that are new. You can build a complete Camaro or Chevelle with everything, from a show, but not a trifive.

Unfortunately, I see less people with their kids there, every year. And less and less people there without gray hair. Or any hair at all! It's a dying art. I hope it stays around a long time. But I doubt it.

jason

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
If you haven't been to a swap meet in 20 years, yes it's changed.

Ebay, craigslist, and even the classifieds here have supplanted swap meets.

If you are going to a swap meet to find used 55-57 parts, or used muscle car parts, they are dwindling in numbers. They are not gone, but the days of finding an undamaged fender or trim piece for your car on every aisle are gone.

Swap meet in Texas in August? Never was a good time to go. Think about it. Swap meets are much better in Texas in the spring and fall.

·
Administrator
49,472 Posts
Jim if you want to go to a pretty good swap meet you might try this one:http://www.southwestswapmeet.com/

And no, swap meets aren`t the same as they used to be. But i have still found some good stuff at them in the past couple of years.
Terry

1 - 20 of 69 Posts