Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installing a stereo in my glove box will block the display, and block my sw gauges below the glove door, its a 210 post so I don't really care about radio originality esp with the bad reviews of retrosound's units. I have a alpine 305x with remote to install but the shaft/sleeve is smaller than the middle square hole the 57's come with.

Maybe someone here has been down this road before.

:gba:

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Anyone who does that is not very bright in my opinion, I have seen thousands of dollars damage done by Stereo hacks with weapons of mass destruction in my time, countless ruined dash and door pannels.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I personally would not cut that dash, not because it would "ruin" it but with the curve of the '57 dash I think it would be too difficult to make it look right.

If you already have the X305 and are set on using it, have you considering hiding the head unit and using an IR repeater to control it. You won't be able to see the display but at least you can track up/down and have volume control.

Another option is an iPhone/iPod head unit like the Kicker PXi50.2. It leaves you with a 30 pin Apple connector and a wired remote. Also no display but I think the phone screen gives you that information. It also has a 3.5mm headphone jack input and 50 watt amlpifier built in.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
I not only cut my cash for A/C vents, I moved the glove box over and used a 56 heater control. Everyone notices the A/C vents in place of the radio, but very few people notice the glove box has been moved or the 56 heater control. It's your car to build like you want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I not only cut my cash for A/C vents, I moved the glove box over and used a 56 heater control. Everyone notices the A/C vents in place of the radio, but very few people notice the glove box has been moved or the 56 heater control. It's your car to build like you want it.
Looks great! Built it for you, so true.

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
I think you may be confused. If I am not mistaken, it is the custom auto sound units that have been the subject of a good number of complaints, not the retrosound units. On your question, I would probably err on the side of caution and not cut the dash.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wouldn't do it, I just spent the better part of a day cutting out and welding the radio part back in my 57 wagon, I took it from my parts car, still got to smooth it out some more, but needless to say it was a pain, I wish the PO didn't cut a big hole for a modern radio.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
1st..............

its your car!
do as you want,
I did mod my dash, I put a radio delete panel over the radio opening.
but ,I hinged it, and made new brackets for the radio behnd, it has a remote, with I pod hook up. so most of the time the radio delete panel will be down.

I mean , come on, we change engines, trans, rear ends, wheels tires , paint, etc,etc,. so ... again, its your car.

·
Registered
1955 BelAir 4-Door Wagon, 350/350
530 Posts
In Dash Radio

I think you may be confused. If I am not mistaken, it is the custom auto sound units that have been the subject of a good number of complaints, not the retrosound units. On your question, I would probably err on the side of caution and not cut the dash.
X2 on Dragsix's comment. I installed a Retrosound Model 1 unit in my 55 wagon dash. It was easy to install, looks pretty good in my opinion, and I think it sounds very nice. I haven't used it much yet, as I'm still building, so I can't speak about long-term reliability, but it's a good option if you don't want to cut up your dash or stuff your radio in your glove box. It also has the capability to use USB Drives, SD cards, and iPods for music sources. CD's are fast becoming yesterday's technology...

Good Luck with whatever method you choose! Regards, John

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
you Guys are the Best.

thanks for the replies and opinions Guys. I thought about it over & over, got frustrated, yes confused too. I think I get tired of looking at the hole in the dash. I haven't touched it. -_-

I wish someone made a couple of fiberglass replicas of the 57 150-210 radio delete plate. It would be easy to do.

*For now it's going to be installed under the dash next to my gauges, I have a remote so it reaching over will not be a issue.

*in 1993 my 70 roadrunner convertible had a original am radio and looked so good that my heart wouldn't cut it up. I remember placing the alpine I had then UNDER the dash, I screwed the radio's steel sleeve firmly into the underframe of the dash with screws and moved it closer to the driver. Worked perfectly, didn't hurt originality or hit my knee or big pistol shifter. One of 157 4-speed 70 runners ragtops. ;)

:gba:

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi ProjectX, I had the same dilemma as you, unsure wether or not to cut the dash. I decided to build a console which gave me the chance to hide a pop up radio/dvd as well as a heap of other stuff. It took ages to get the design just right for my liking but I love the final product. Getting the pop up screen to fit and work smoothly was a challenge!
I made the original buck out of cardboard and masking tape and after a few versions made the final product in aluminium, with polished inserts which match the dash.

V1531-85.jpg

V1531-99.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
No I did't cut my dash and am very glad I did not. I would build a console to sit under the dash on the hump before I cut the dash.
Terry
Thanks Terry, someone needed to say that. I think its the best option anyway.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi ProjectX, I had the same dilemma as you, unsure wether or not to cut the dash. I decided to build a console which gave me the chance to hide a pop up radio/dvd as well as a heap of other stuff. It took ages to get the design just right for my liking but I love the final product. Getting the pop up screen to fit and work smoothly was a challenge!
I made the original buck out of cardboard and masking tape and after a few versions made the final product in aluminium, with polished inserts which match the dash.

View attachment 82503

View attachment 82504

View attachment 82502

View attachment 82501
Very nice! See, there are always options. No need to cut the dash. Mine came with this radio/tape player in it but I would like to replace it with the original. It doesn't look terrible but you can't beat original IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts